• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

What is tep_db_insert_id()?

bac3

when checkout_process.php inserts the order data into the table ORDERS in the database tep_db_insert_id() gets the row number to use as the order id and assigns it to a variable for use elsewhere

Do you ship UPS?

Give your customers order tracking without leaving your site. Track multi-package shipments. XML, cURL

Download the contribution here:

UPS Tracking

when checkout_process.php inserts the order data into the table ORDERS in the database tep_db_insert_id() gets the row number to use as the order id and assigns it to a variable for use elsewhere

Do you know if the this is bullet proof?

I.e. is there a chance that two different customers placing an order at the same time will get each others id (i.e. the last generated ID)? Say you have site under heavy load. I guess this depends on how threading is handled in PHP? Might one thread read the inserted ID of another thread?

Script A - Cust. A placing order OA, resulting in id IDA

Script B - Cust. B placing order OB, resulting in id IDB

Script A - fetch last id -> IDB with tep_db_insert_id()

Script B - fetch last id -> IDB with tep_db_insert_id()

This might be an academic question but I think it is quite interesting.

/Fred

Best thing to do to find any of these functions is to look in the files they are defined in, database functions are defined in the file

/functions/database.php

If you look at tep_db_insert_id() you will see it just calls mysql_insert_id()

If you then look up mysql_insert_id() on php.net

http://uk2.php.net/mysql_insert_id

you will see that it

"Get the ID generated from the previous INSERT operation"

It only works if you have an auto_increment field on the table into which you are inserting. Also note that it is not a row number, it is the last auto generated sequence number which is placed in an auto_increment field.

Once one customer has been handed this number it cannot be given to another, there is no chance of 2 customers being given the same number.

Mike

Archived