• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Can oscommerce do the following things...

Hi everybody,

Just trying to work out how to use oscommerce, and any help would be appreciated... I have a resonable base in HTML and a good one in computers, but don't know much about php/sql. my knowledge is more on a network support role.

First off can i do the following things... or am i dreaming and should i just pay lots of $$$ to a pro

I would like to setup a online store for a wholesaler selling printers... with the following features:

a) I would like to design my own site, not use the default oscommerce layout...

B ) When a member of the public comes to the site, i would like them to be able to view the product catalogues, and have links to drivers/manuals off each product page.. But i don't want any prices or options to buy.

If possible when viewing the catalogue i would like catageories down the side (eg colour printers... mono printers etc) then when they click on a catagorie is displays all items under that catagorie in a table form, then each of the text is a link to more info about that product. eg:

xs1009.................Epson E900 Colour Laser

xh6729.................Panasonic Colour laser

c) When a Dealer comes to the site:

1. I would like them to fill out an application form, and then i would approve their account.

2. One they have an account i would like them to be able to view the whole catalogue and have links to drivers/manuals off each product (inculding prices... but see below about prices) and a quanity box (how many they want to order) then add to card (or buy now etc)

If possible when viewing the catalogue i would like catageories down the side (eg colour printers... mono printers etc) then when they click on a catagorie is displays all items under that catagorie in a table form, then each of the text is a link to more info about that product. eg:

ID#............PRODUCT NAME......................................QTD................Price

xs1009.......Epson E900 Colour Laser.........................#(box)............$2333.00

xh6729.......Panasonic Colour laser............................#(box)............$299.00

ADD TO CART (Button)

3. I would like different pricing groups which i have pre-assigned people into.... (eg i would assign ppl that spend <$100 in one group and >$100 in another... but oscommerce woudl not decided which group people are in...)

4. Within each price group i would like to have volumetric pricing for items (eg $10 for 1, $8 for 3, $5 for 100 etc.. however these prices are not based on a % or formulae .. they will be inputted for me)

5. Only English on the sight... but would like a few difference currencies....

6. Payment methods: Credit Card(Mastercard-Visa)/Cheque/Cash/Direct Credit (Internet bank transfer)

i hope that made some sense to someone

:D :D :D :D :D THANKS HEAPS :D :D :D :D :D

Hey Chris,

Welcome to the Forum.

Alot of the features you mentioned can be handled by osComm...or at least it will provide a starting point.

For the graphic layout, check out some of the contributions. such as STS and BTS..use caution because some of them work best on a fresh install.

It sounds like you will have to do some modifications to the login/accounts portion to get your customers to fall in pricing categories...ppl here should be able to give you sample code to point you in a right direction.

Removing language options from your catalog is simple-modify the catalog\includes\column_right.php file by commenting out the language option using two forward slashes as shown below:

// include(DIR_WS_BOXES . 'languages.php');

Payment methods will be chosen by you via the admin interface under "modules"--turn them on or off according to your needs

remember to check periodically on the contributions.

-D

chris

it would be interesting if you could keep us posted on ur progress. i am also new to osc and the only thing stopping from using it is the apparent difficulty in changing the design.

every osc site i have seen so far can be instantly recognised as osc. i have looked at Simple Template System STS as well as Basic Template Structure BTS but have not yet figured out how to use these to build a completely different looking site, tho must admit, i only discovered osc 4 days ago!

1 of the difficulties i see wioth osc is the lack of any proper documentation.

i am going to persevere with it for now though as i think (design issues aside) it is one of the best pret-a-porte shopping cart systems around.

anyhow good luck

dertrad

Lonnie

yes i have been through wiki and oscdox.com as well as many posts on this forum.

wiki is very basic; it goes through installation and basic configuration. it is rudimentary.

i would like information on how osc works, better descriptions of what file does what, how they are related, and more (better) commenting in scripts. some of these are covered haphazardly in various places on this site, but keyword searching through the forums is very inefficient. newbies (like me) can find it rather daunting getting to grips with osc. certainly, it is difficult to plug and play unless you choose to use the default setup.

design aspect is one of my greatest concerns for osc; i think the problem (at least in part) is much to do with the philosophy of here is a box, put your stuff in and change/use some of the labels we give you. now you can send the box.

i think a better approach would be to offer a system that adds functionality to existing/new sites/designs. it would be great if i could take an existing site and the features and functions i need, like a sort of back-end. i have seen much discussion on these forums about separating content and logic (design and code). shame that approach isn?t taken a level deeper. i would like to be able to easily retain my existing design and wrap osc around it, using parts that were useful, discarding others.

having said that, i only stumbled across osc a few days ago, so it may very well be my lack of understanding that is the real issue. i hope someone here will highlight my ignorance and prove me wrong.

finally, i would add that these forums are par excellence. the osc community seems very active, helpful, knowledgeable and well mannered.

i look forward to being shown for the ignoramus i am.

dertrad

design aspect is one of my greatest concerns for osc; i think the problem (at least in part) is much to do with the philosophy of here is a box, put your stuff in and change/use some of the labels we give you. now you can send the box.

I think you need to appreciate the time and effort that many intelligent people (who could have very well taken the greedy route and leased their skills out for corporate gain) have put into building a system that works efficiently and smoothly before you go saying its not to your liking. You weren't there when it was programmed. If you want your own shopping cart that is unrecognizable as OSC, whip out your VISA and pay for one.

I'm not trying to be rude but I see a lot of people complaining about what it cannot do, and it irritates me to think that people fail to appreciate what it CAN do for their website. I was relieved to find a program that allows me to customize it at all, and not have to pay for it or even support. Everyone is completely helpful and will do anything they can to make your programming as smooth as possible even if you don't have a clue about PHP or SQL. I just discovered osCommerce a couple weeks ago and I've been taken aback by how excellent the support is. There are companies out there who PAY people who are less competent and friendly.

don

just to clarify: nowhere have i alluded to lack of intelligence, time or effort on the part of the osc team; although apparently lack of intelligence is abundant amongst some others.

perhaps you would care to re-read my post and try to understand what i am saying

furthermore, the development of open source software is very much dependent on users/contributors/others expressing irratations, complaints and suggestions.

Archived