• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[TIP] Using Unsold Carts to generate sales

jrwrestling

The unsold carts report found below:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,1598

Has many exciting abilities, and can be used to generate profit where it was unavailable in the past.

HOW TO:

Once installed, you can view the report. After the report has been sitting on the site, wait for 24 hours before sending an email/placing a phone call.

UNDERSTANDING THE CONTACT: In my business it is o.k. for me to contact via telephone, since I have been in the sport for around 15 years, most people know me so they feel comfortable when I call. Your business may be better with an email, thought it doesn't have a personal touch, and is much harder to sell via email.

HERE IS AN EMAIL I SEND OUT:

You recently expressed interest in products at our website, www.YOURSITE.com if you would still like to finish the order, you can do so, your cart is saved on our servers until the order is completed.

If you have questions, or are nervous about purchasing online, don't hesitate to call!

1-800-XXX-XXXX

Have a great day!

Additionall, offering a small discount is sure to get some of those sales back.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

The only scary part about that Chris, is that many customers will come back the following day, or even week to order. I suggest that method only after 4-7 days of having an unsold cart. (That is what I do on orders of $300 or more.)

Additionall, offering a small discount is sure to get some of those sales back.

NO!

Okay, now that I expressed my opinion, I mean what would I know?

First, when I wrote the original hack I did it because "I had the data, there must be a way to use it". Once I started to look at the data I realized that some of these people would show up in one run, and then a few days later they would buy. So, I started to use it to touch base. In about 10% of them, the people thought they had already purchased (it seems that MS1's "confirm order" page confused them and they thought it was the "order confirmation" page --- possibly since that was the default name).

What I found myself doing was sending an e-mail that took the position that I wanted to improve the site, and was wondering why they left and how I could improve the experience. I reminded them that they still had items in the cart, and what those items were.

Using this method I have contacted 353 cart owners and have translated that into 23 recaptured sales on-line and 6 purchase orders. About 10-12% of the people responded with "Found a better price elsewhere". One of the interesting things to note is that using scarts (the sales-tool version of unsold_carts that will be released as a full contribution in the next week) has had a positive response in that those that had a problem with the site (about 15%) have provided excellent feedback that has allowed me to make a few changes to the way I have laid portions of the site out and I was told today, after closing a very large order, that one of the reasons that they ordered was based on a feature that was changed baced on this feedback.

As for offering a discount coupon to recapture that sale... imagine the following... you are a photo supply retailer. You contact a few people and offer them a discount to come back and complete their order. One day while transversing the photographer boards you read the following. "Hey, if you want to get an additional X% discount on your order goto <your shop's name here> and load your cart up and then don't buy. In two days you'll get an offer to return with a X% discount." ow you may have the margin to give everyone an X% discount, but if you do, then why not just create a discount coupon for that board and post it up there? Or what about Joe-Bob who put some stuff in his cart, but had to go to a photo location and decided to see what he needed while there, when he comes back and is ready to order, BANG you have given him a discount for an order he was going to be placing anyway.

I'm all for capturing a sale (heck, that's why I wrote the sucker), but the goal is to do so without cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Look at it this way... you're in the supermarket and you have some stuff in your cart. You walk away from your cart, down another isle, and meet someone and are talking to them. Suddenly the store manager comes over to you and says "I'll give you an x% discount if you check that cart out at the register." Personally, I would love to see that happen, but it doesn't. What *may* happen at a store with great customer service is that someone will come over and say "is that your cart over there?" and follow that up with "is there anything I can do to be of service to you?"

Use this to enhance your "customer service" and you will increase your sales. Both from those that will purchase what they left, and those that will remember what you did and will look to you first when they are considering what you sell, because you do *great* customer service (at least those that are not super-price-sensitive).

Just my $0.02.

B)

JM, that is why you wait some time before contacting...

Now, imagine you are sitting in Cub Foods with your cart, get tired so you go home to sleep... leaving it sitting there and to go home to sleep. You get side tracked the next morning, until, "Ring" Sir, your cart is waiting by Aisle 10, all you have to do is hang up and click a button and everything is done!

Quite a bit different than harrassing them

JM, that is why you wait some time before contacting...

Now, imagine you are sitting in Cub Foods with your cart, get tired so you go home to sleep... leaving it sitting there and to go home to sleep. You get side tracked the next morning, until, "Ring" Sir, your cart is waiting by Aisle 10, all you have to do is hang up and click a button and everything is done!

Quite a bit different than harrassing them

Can't afford to wait during this time of year. :P Really, I have one day processing and then three-five shipping. As we get closer to the holidays I'm sure I'll get more requests to "send as fast as possible, we'll pay for it!", but in order to get to those potential sales *before* it gets to that state, I have to follow up within a shortened window.

Therefore, during this season, I have gotten into 24-48 hours before followup. And note that the followup is... "we noticed you left your cart (and here is what was in it), is there something we can do to help?" Outside of the season, I agree, let them wait 72 hours or so. But if this season is a hot "buying season" then shorten it up a bit.

Like I said, pro-active customer service, not a harrasment to buy. :D

Very true JM, Very true. I'm in the same kind of rush right now, for a different season.. Wrestling Season. It begins in November, and I and my crew cannot even keep up with the sales osC and Unsold carts generate. Your statement is exceptionally true, but I don't mind harrassing them to buy either... ;)

OK, just so we're all on the same page here, I too was not thinking of sending an email to the customer within 24 or even 48 hours after they leave the cart. I was thinking more of like 2 weeks or even a month. After that much time, I think that offering a coupon is an excellent idea.

However I do feel like it is very important to reach the customer a short time after the customer leaves the cart. For this very reason, I developed a contribution called "Feedback Request, Automated". This contribution emails customers who sign up for an account, but do not purchase, and are not currently online, within 15 minutes of the time the customer leaves the cart. Much more effetive than 24 hours, in my opion.

I also have similar statistics as to the effectiveness of this concept. For customers that get emailed with this system, nearly 50% of them reply to the feedback request, thinking that someone had personally emailed them. Of those customer that reply, estimate that I can get about 0% of them to order after all.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

estimate that I can get about 0% of them to order after all.
I'm guessing that 0% is a typo? Should be 30% or 50% or something? Otherwise I think I'm missing the point.

Hth,

Matt

sorry, my 'seven' button sticks sometimes, lol.

Should read 70%, and thats an approximate figure.

Yes, the contribution is available in the contributions section, although you'll need to have cron access to use it. If I remember correctly, there may also be a quirk in the installation instructions, but there's really not much to it, its a pretty basic mod.

I've alos got what I call a "Feedback, Post Order, Automated", which is not in the contributions section. It automatically emails people 7 days after their order is changed to shipped, and asks them to go to resellerratings.com and leave feedback for me.

It was my intentions to integrate the two contrbutions together, and create an admin for them, complete with on off switches, and configurable parameters. But with the holiday season upon us, and this already working on my shops, I hanv't been able to find the time to clean it up.

Archived