• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Backup database and Restore.

lparks

I know there is a doc on this somewhere but I can't find it. I need to know how to backup my MySQL database running on Windows 2000 and export it to my hosting company and unpack it there to keep all my current tables and configuration. What do i need to do? My host has a Web GUI to manage SQL databases (MySQL) how to I do this?

Any help is appreciated. :(

First thing you want to do is make sure that you are in the SQL database, then make sure you are at the beginning of the database (meaning the first thing you see when you login to the Catalog database)

Ok go to Export, click on (structure and Data only), then (select all), then you choose (save as File).

Save the file where you want it and that should be it.

This should be correct as that is what i do, i alos do 4 backups a week.

I do believe that your hosting company can also back that information for you.

Mine backs all servers quite often, but it is a good idea to make your own backups.

You should be able to transfer the Saved file structure to your hosting company for them to have a backup.

You don't need a command all you have to do is click on the SQL button in the MY PHPADMIN SQL database.

Then browse for the file you saved and upload it.

if you saved it the way i said to than is all you should do

Remember that you would have to have a Empty data base to Import the Files.

If you want to save certain files like prices you can just go to products table and export the DATA ONLY not structure data.

then empty that Table and upload your Changed Prices.

If i am explaining it over your head Let me Know.

I know there is a doc on this somewhere but I can't find it. I need to know how to backup my MySQL database running on Windows 2000 and export it to my hosting company and unpack it there to keep all my current tables and configuration. What do i need to do? My host has a Web GUI to manage SQL databases (MySQL) how to I do this?

Any help is appreciated. :(

You can do it right in OSC's Admin (as long as it was setup ONCE on the "restore" server) - TOOLS --> BACKUP/RESTORE feature. No messing with phpadmin or other MySQL admin tool...

The OSC Admin 'BACKUP' does a standard MySQL Database DUMP - which can be loaded/RAN in ANY MySQL Query...(like a MySQL admin tool...)

Good Luck

Yes you could do that too, but if you lose your whole database where say you can log into the OSC admin, then what? as the backup from the OSC is saved in the Backup file folder for OSC not on your harddrive.

catalog/admin/backup.php?selected_box=tools

I would recommend doing both, if you know how.

It is always better to have one on your harddrive too.

I have a problem.

When i try to backup the database from oscommerce after a couple of seconds i get an error 500:internal server error.

Also

When tryng to access phpmyadmin to do a backup, it whont let me in. after i input my username and password it brings up a message sayng cookies must be enabled to pass this point. I tried this on a couple of computers, both at home and at work, and it still brings the same error.

Please can someone help, this has become very frustrating, and letting me down.

Thanks in advance.

I have a problem.

When i try to backup the database from oscommerce after a couple of seconds i get an error 500:internal server error.

Also

When tryng to access phpmyadmin to do a backup, it whont let me in. after i input my username and password it brings up a message sayng cookies must be enabled to pass this point. I tried this on a couple of computers, both at home and at work, and it still brings the same error.

Please can someone help, this has become very frustrating, and letting me down.

Thanks in advance.

You probably should have started your own thread, since your post doesn't have anything to do with this one (other than that you are having db backup issues). Since you have access to phpMyAdmin, you'll probably want to get that working rather than the internal osC db backup (since it's more thorough, as mentioned in this thread already). As for using phpMyAdmin, make sure you are trying to log into it using the right account information, as it may differ from your personal login to your host. You can ask your host helpdesk for proper login instructions for phpMyAdmin. Further questions for phpMyAdmin should probably go to a phpMyAdmin specific website/forum.

Yeah, i did both and now its working like a charm. I used the backup feature from the Admin section and then had my host run the .sql command to create the tables in the database that I created on their server. Thanks for all your help it worked. Now, i'm just going to work out the bugs with my host and i'll be up and running before you know it.

Website I'm working on. Its live!

As previous in osC admin backup and ftp to your harddrive

No longer giving free advice. Please place deposit in meter slot provided.  Individual: [=] SME: [==] Corporation: [===]
If deposit does not fit one of the slots provided then you are asking too much! :P

Is your Osc dated try Phoenix  raising oscommerce from the ashes.

Archived