• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Newbie installing for first time

I'm trying to install OSC for the first time on my server, I do have SSL on my server. I keep getting stumped when on the inital instaliation screen it asks for the database server name... I would assume that is the name of my domain, but I must be wrong in this assumption, I keep getting "Can't connect to MySQL server on ... _com..." Help! Please! Thanks!!

I had the same problem what it was for me was the first line was localhost, the second line was the actual name of the database like (admin_store) what ever you called your data base, the third is the password for you data base, the forth is the name of your data base again. make sure the you set the value of the catalog/includes/configure.php and admin/includes/configure.php to 706 or 777 or it will not install corectly.

Thanks guys! I figured out teh local host part, now having issues with :

The configuration files do not exist, or permission levels are not set.

Please perform the following actions:

cd /home/hostname/public_html/catalog/includes/

touch configure.php

chmod 706 configure.php

cd /home/hostname/public_html/catalog/admin/includes/

touch configure.php

chmod 706 configure.php

I don't have the slightest clue what it is asking me to do...

CHMOD 706 is a specific set of file permissions (read/write/execute) and who can do them (Owner/Group/Public)

If you are local to your server, you can just go to the directory that conatins the file, and make sure the following are true (are you on a windows or linux server?):

Owner: Read,Write,Execute

Group: (no permissions)

Public: Execute (only)

I find that osCommerce doesn't throw errors as long as MOD=444 (make file read-only).

If you are remote to your server, I highly recommend SmartFTP. It does handy things like compare files in local and remote directories, and it has a sexy interface where you can get all sorts of info, including MOD info.

BTW, CHMOD = change access permissions of a file.

Archived