• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Unrouteable mail domain

After a hundred or so hours of setting this program up, adding contributions etc, I have made a sad discovery. All testing was done using my email address. I received the email from the shop with no problem. When the shop sends email for any reason to anyone else it is bounced back as undeliverable with the reason as "unrouteable email domain yahoo.com" or juno.com or anything else.com.

I have searched and read just about all of the posts on this and the general concensus is that it is a sendmail problem with the host. This doesn't make sense to me because I have other programs on my site using sendmail and they all work fine. I have an auction on the same site and it sends email with no problem. Oscommerce sends email to me fine (but it is on the same server as the email address that I am using, [email protected]). So it would seem that if sendmail was working for other programs it should work for oscommerce, and the problem may be in the way oscommerce prepares and sends the mail to the sendmail program?

I hate to think that such a great program, otherwise, would be of no use to me because it isn't compatible with the send mail program on my host.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Terry

My appologies for doubting the gurus! My host's support guy made some "adjustments" once I convinced him there was a problem. He just kept telling me that other sites were sending mail just fine.

Anyway, for those of you that may have this error, it is without a doubt your host's sendmail that is the problem.

Terry

• 1 month later...

Hey Terry,

I am now encountering the same "unrouteable mail domain" problem. It sounded like you have resolved the issue with your hosting company. Could you give some details in what problem and what adjustments your hosting company had and made to resolve the issue? I need some information when I go deal with my hosting company. Thank you for your help.

KF

I am also interested in this one

No longer giving free advice. Please place deposit in meter slot provided.  Individual: [=] SME: [==] Corporation: [===]
If deposit does not fit one of the slots provided then you are asking too much! :P

Is your Osc dated try Phoenix  raising oscommerce from the ashes.

This usually means that PHP is trying to send email from an account that is not registered to send email from that server. Sometimes you can fix this by using ini_set to change the sendmail path to include -f STORE_OWNER_EMAIL_ADDRESS in includes/classes/email.php

Alternately, your host may need to change their relaying settings. Sorry, that's about all I know about relaying, so no more specific advice.

Hth,

Matt

Archived