• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

engine parts web

bestguy

The hardest thing about buying engine parts is finding the correct parts for the application. So I would say biggest drawback is the search-engine and the way parts are listed and indexed. The inventory needs to be cross-referenced by Make (brand), Model, Year and Engine Size. Sometimes options such as air-conditioning, Power Steering, Power breaks and smog equipment are also important to know to find the right part. There are also many manufactures that make replacement parts. There needs to be away to cross-reference to other manufactures part numbers so the buyer can choose which brand they like better. Some replacement parts come as ?Stock? or ?High Performance?. There are sometime also when two same engine can use different parts just because some improvement were made during its production. Then on the other hand many engines can shaere the same parts.

All in All, if I were an engine rebuilder, I would like to see all the parts and accessories that are available for the engine I was rebuilding and a description explaining what the part is.

I hope this helps you understand my requirements.

Walter

I run an automotive parts and accessories shop and encountered a similar issue so I coded something up myself. To begin with I put together a simple solution and later I will implement something a little more sophisticated.

The simple solution was simply adding two new columns to the PRODUCTS table; products_engine and products_car_make. I also created an ENGINE table and a CAR_MAKE table.

This allowed me to assign engines and car makes to products (comma delimited).

I have created my own search infobox which allows the user to select engines and car makes and search that way.

I do plan on making it more sophisticated and efficient by adding joiining tables between PRODUCTS and ENGINE and CAR_MAKE so that proper indexing can be used in the queries.

I run www.ModYourCar.com.au but soon I will be putting up my new OSC site with all the fruit. Once that's up you can check it out.

Dan

Hi Dan,

how is your solution working for you? I have added about 6 additional fields for each product to track various things specific to our business. I think that people like us in our business need to provide the ability for customers to search on year, make & model specific products.....

I think I need to roll up my sleeved and figure this out....

B)

Absolutely... our customers need to be able to find products relating to their car or engine etc... I hace added 2 fields at the moment which is all I need but I might add a car model field in later.

The solution I have done in my development OSC site is working a treat ;)

I am estimating I will have it ready for final testing and feedback from this community probably early December sometime so you can check it out.

Dan

Absolutely... our customers need to be able to find products relating to their car or engine etc... I hace added 2 fields at the moment which is all I need but I might add a car model field in later.

The solution I have done in my development OSC site is working a treat ;)

I am estimating I will have it ready for final testing and feedback from this community probably early December sometime so you can check it out.

cool. I am going to start writing mine for "grins" so maybe we can compare notes and stuff next month??

B)

Yer Matti don't worry... I am going to wait until my site is done then I'll package a few cool contribs up.

I've got a payment module brewing at the moment that allows payment by iveprepaid.com

;)

Dan

Thank you for you replies. I still don?t know how to get started or where to go from here? I am not familiar with this type of programming. I write code for micro controllers and PLC?s. I was looking to take a managerial position with this project. The learning curve is way too steep for me at this time.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, in advance. Totally inappropriate I'm sure. But in response to that last comment I just have to post this....

A man is flying in a hot air balloon and realizes he is lost. He

reduces height and spots a man down below. He lowers the balloon

further and shouts:

"Excuse me, can you tell me where I am?"

The man below says, "Yes, you're in a hot air balloon, hovering 30

feet above this field."

"You must work in information technology" says the balloonist.

"I do," replies the man. "How did you know."

"Well," says the balloonist, "everything you have told me is

technically correct, but it's no use to anyone."

The man below says, "You must be a corporate manager."

"I am," replies the balloonist, "but how did you know?"

"Well", says the man, "you don't know where you are, or where you're

going, but you expect me to be able to help. You're in the same

position you were before we met, but now it's my fault."

Exactly... on top of that. What do you expect the community to do? This place offers assistance and guidance, it's not a one stop shop for your oscommerce needs. Your not going to find a custom made solution out of the box for your exact requirements.

I have had to code up a LOT of new features for my OSC store (coming out early Jan) because there wasn't a contribution that did what I want.

That's life dude... if you really want something custom, then pay someone to do it.

Dan

I have coded up a year, make, and model search on my site. It is viewable at My Webpage. I am willing to give it to anyone, and plan to make it a contribution soon. If you do like it send me a PM with your e-mail address in it, and I will send it to you complete with instructions. There have not been very many products added, and not all makes and models are in the database yet. The normal test I give for anyone to try is search for a 1999 Acura CL. You should get a list of seven clutches with the part number/name a link to the product information.

Archived