• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Product Attribute Management

SimplyFootball

This is my first post - I have to say that searching this forum has provided me with so many answers .... great work guys. My final problem before I go live with my site (hopefully this weekend) is how to manage the large number of product / attribute combinations.

I loaded all my data into osc via SQL inserts into the database directly. I have 400+ products (football shirts), each with various size options. So you can see that my combination of products/attributes is large. After loading my data I went to the product options screen and to my horror realised that the huge number goes onto 95+ pages - and I can't find the products to update the sizes which I do daily.

Is there a smart way around this. Ideally I'd like to put the size onto the product page. Or if this is not possible maybe have the product options page show all of the values (lot of data and time to load but at least I could see what was going on)

Thanks

Rob

:D

Thanks Fred - just what I want

You'll have to excuse me but I'm a contributions novice. Went to the link - there seems to be a raft of contributions by David Watkins - the last one being 04/28/2003, then there's something later by Cord Forke. Do I take Davids which is just categories.php and do an overwrite of my categories.php - where would that be in my file structure.

Thanks

Rob

:D

Simply...

Which version you choose depends on the version of osCommerce that you are using. Also remember that the listing show the latest release of the contribution first. The later version usually contain bug fixes or are re-written for a newer version of osCommerce.

Hope this helps.

-R

I tried to apply the categories.php and got an error message telling me something wasn't defined, so I quickly reverted to the original file.

I'm confused as to how to apply the contribution. I'm on a standard 2.2MS2 - the contribution seems to have a changelog of v6 26 April 2003. How can I tell if this contribution is supposed to work with 2.2MS2 (it obviously doesn't without some tweek)

What version/snapshot date osCommerce do yu have installed? Open up your catalog/includes/application_top.php file and look at the version and date info at the top of the file.

Post your results.

I can tell you that if you downloaded the version from April, MS2 wasn't around yet. MS2 was initiated in July.

Thanks.

-R

I deal with my attributes mostly right in the database, its a lot easier to do when you can reference the product ids. There is a way to control the display order of the attributes on the proper admin page, but I never did find the exact right line to fix. Right now it sorts according to name (alphabetically), which might have its merit if you are the type to forget the order that products or attributes were assigned. It could be set to sort by an id#, if you knew which line to put it on. I got tired of looking, and figured out how to write large scripts to manipulate the database itself. Jeremy

Archived