• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Search Engine Friendly?

orientalgiftgallery.com

No need to change to SEF urls. it will index fine the way it is.

However, you are correct, the closer to the root a page is, the higher placement it will receive in the index. It probably wouldn't a ALOT of difference, but there would be some.

Either way, it will index just fine.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Force cookie will make it so that customer can only purchase if they have cookies enabled. If not, they will get a popup telling them that they can't order until they have cookies enabled.

If you have this setting on, you don't have to worry at all about SIDs for spiders. And it is the more secure method as well, since sessions can occasionally get mixed up between customers.

However, I find that about 30% of my customers do not have cookies enabled, and I don't think I could afford to use this setting.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

wizard,

I installed spider killer but the osid still shows up when I launch a broswer at the first time. on once there's a click on any of the link, the osid disappears.

I went to your website but the osid never shows up? why

sample shop here

http://www.fine-collectibles.com/

thanks

I do not get an SID from your website.

I'm not sure I follow.

If you disable cookies, then you just need to make sure that your spider sid killer is working properly. Other wise you will still be indexed, but the URLs that are included in the index will have sids, which could be a problem.

Kevin,

No, I do not.

There is no SID

I do not get an SID in NS 7.1 or IE 6

I haven't tested it in opera but I have a question. I thought with prevent spider sessions = true would actually enable a psuedo sid killer. I am finding I am mistaken. On some installations it is working find whereas on others it is like thumbing it's nose at me .. The question is why???...lol

Any suggestions?

(my knowledge is so small you would think that an ant was a genius in comparison)

No, the prevent spider sessions is supposed to prevent SIDs for spiders only.

Not for regular visitors.

Chris,

that's what happend with me. My browser is IE6.0. If I launch a new IE broswer, then type in www. fine-collectibles.com, and then my first click will have a sid, after that, it disapears, like Jason has.

and what do those variables do?

Check SSL Session ID

Check User Agent

Check IP Address

Prevent Spider Sessions

Recreate Session

should I set them to true of false?

Thanks

Kevin

Playing Googlebot with Mozilla Firebird - credit given to chriseo.com

Fans of SEO will know that Google's crawler (googlebot) doesn't like cookies and doesn't like session ids. Good SEO coders can code your site so that googlebot doesn't get those. But how do they know it's working without waiting for the pages to be crawled? How do you know it's been working? I've been looking for a better method and I've found o?ne in Mozilla Firebird.

First thing to do is to download and install Mozilla Firebird (Firebird). I chose Firebird because it does what we want and it's simple. We're going to use Firebird to pretend to be Googlebot!

Next download and install Uabar (Uabar). UaBar lets you change the User Agent so we can pretend to be Googlebot. It requests you restart Firebird. Do so and go to View->Toolbars->Customize and then drag the Enter New UA String box up to your toolbar.

Next go to Tools -> Options and go to the Privacy section. Expand Cookies and uncheck the enable cookies checkbox. Lasty go the the Web features section and uncheck Java and Javascript.

Into the Enter new UA String box (the o?ne you dragged o?nto your toolbar) enter:

Googlebot/2.1 (+http://www.googlebot.com/bot.html)

and hit Return. It will confirm the useragent change. Click Okay.

Firebird is now pretending to be Googlebot pretty effectively. Navigate to your web site and check the links. Look in the status bar as you mouseover links to check that none have parameters like sid=234aa3441235bb (or some similar strange string of characters). If they do, you have a problem.

Navigate to the various sections of your site. If you can't get to something then nor can Googlebot.

Archived