• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Your Opinion is Wanted

Rasher

www.speed-sports.com/shop/

This is a pretty heavily (at least it felt like it) modified store added to an established website. The store owner had some specific needs and had outgrown our original perl based web store (several years old, mind you). Just went live a few days ago...

Most of the modifications come from the excellent contributions here and the rest are from the hip. I?m a one man designer-programmer-database-graphics guy as it looks like many here are the same.

For sake of time the existing ?static? site has been somewhat crudely plugged into OsCommerce. This is the area I?m working on at the moment. I only fear that I may have hastily broke something on my quest for assimilation.

Also let me say in my defense that I know the dynamic category menu is a little slow on loading. But due to the fact that the store targets multiple interests we felt that it was worth it in the end.

Well, since this is my first post here I feel it?s only polite to say thanks to all the developers and the incredible community that makes OsCommerce a pleasure to work with. I?ve been reading through the forums for a little while and now I hope I?m ready participate in a constructive manner and give back a little of what I?ve been taking.

I value what all of you have to say... So let the newbie have it... :ph34r:

Thanks

Randy

The first thing is that the site is professional enough to carry the products.

the logo is unique and attracts the visitor.the infobox are trendy.

everything is fine except the menu items are taking time to load.

otherwise the site is good.

...the menu items are taking time to load...

Thanks for your feedback mediarays, I truly appreciate it.

I agree with you completely about the menu issue.

You're helping me realize that I need to address that problem more sooner than later.

But as every story has a story behind the story, so let me share mine in hopes to save someone else from making the same mistake. Or at least help prepare them for what could happen.

When I originally tested, modified the heck out of it, then installed this dynamic menu, well... (I should have known better)... but my original store, that I ported over, only had 20 or 30 categories and about 500+ products. So the speed of the menu wasn't all that bad, really, I swear.

...But then as I went into modifying the remaining 95% of OsCommerce...

I told the store owner he could finally start adding products himself ,thanks to the admin area along with all my photoshop templates and action scripts, he added a few hundred more products. Cool! right... But he also added almost 100 MORE categories. :huh:

Needless to say the performance of the menu has been somewhat effected. :unsure:

and there goes another perfectly good test plan out the window.

I'm currently using a modified version of this contribution;

Drop Down Categories - HV Menu

If anyone knows of a (better || faster) hierarchical menu system that can build itself dynamically by reading the category table, (that was a mouth full), please let me know.

Thanks again for the feedback, this is very helpful.

Thumbs up from me.

I did notice though that you have still used a few of the standard OSC icons... you've gone to so much effort I would go that extra step and get some new icons.

Thanks man. That's very cool of you.

I've got a template in the works for all those header icons. But with Christmas coming we had to launch and now I'm still tying up loose ends. I'm hopping to get them finished early next week.

Speaking of which...

Don't you love it when you tie up one loose end and four more come untied.

...ya, it just happened again... I called it a night.

Hey, great job on that site. Everthing is great, except you might want to play around with the looks of the dhtml menu alittle bit, it doesn't quite fit.

I do have a couple questions though. Are you using any kind of template system, like STS?

If so, how did you get the dhtml menu to work with it?

Dave

If anyone knows of a (better || faster) hierarchical menu system that can build itself dynamically by reading the category table, (that was a mouth full), please let me know.

Isn't it possible to control the depth to which the menu loads?

Matti

First let me say, thanks for all the feedback! This is killer...

Hey, great job on that site.  Everthing is great, except you might want to play around with the looks of the dhtml menu alittle bit, it doesn't quite fit.

I do have a couple questions though.  Are you using any kind of template system, like STS?

If so, how did you get the dhtml menu to work with it?

Dave

Thanks Dave. Your right, I didn't spend too much time with the menu CSS code yet. I had to focus on going live to replace our previously-pathetic online shop. But I agree, it needs a major overhaul...

And yes, I'm using the thema template system. I can't remember all of the details but I think it only required a little bit of tweeking to get it to work. But I have modified the contribution even more to suit our needs. That probably didn't answer your question, but if anyone wants a copy of my infobox code I would be happy to post it somewhere. I don?t think I did enough modifications to justify a sub-contribution but I'd be happy to share.

Isn't it possible to control the depth to which the menu loads?

Matti

Wow, thanks Matti. I'm embarrassed to say that I toyed with that idea in the beginning but without any luck, I was barking up the wrong tree. See, I had tried to control the levels through the SQL select statement (not going to work). But reading your message it dawned on me that you are probably referring to the javascript (HV Menu) code that builds the menu. Damn, why didn't I think of that. :huh: I'll try this approach when I revisit the menu.

Maybe unintentional but quite inspirational non the less... Thanks again Matti!

Some nice graphical bits and pieces, but too many infoboxes.  Standard Oscommerce layout.

Like your buttons a lot.  The menu is awful.

Thanks burt. I'm starting to think that the menu is a little annoying for people :unsure:

If anyone is wondering why I just don't put the standard menu back until I resolve the rendering speed... It's because in our early (limited) usability tests. People were feeling a little lost (few realized what the breadcrumb menu was, yikes). So this menu allows one to go to any product in the store from any page in a minimum of 3 clicks. I know that no one was asking that, I just wanted to try and justify the method to my madness... Am I off my rocker?

Way too yellow for me. Interesting drop shadow though.

As always, dump the info boxes

No one has mentioned any color issues yet. Now that I looked again, I fear that you are correct. Maybe I did get a little carried away with the #FFCC00 color... I'll give that some thought.

And as both you and burt mentioned about the infoboxes, I have plans to incorporate many of them into the header and footer. Since we are still a new install, we're still trying to decide what stays and what will go. Plus as I learn more about OsC, I'll be a little more brave when it comes to altering the standard look. But (I think) I hear what you guys are saying and agree completely.

Thanks again everyone for your input. In these few messages I have gained far more quality input than in my attempt at usability tests. Also the compliments on the graphics do wonders for my ego B)

So if my head can make it though the doorway, I'm off for some coffee now.

Randy

I think the shop looks great... just curious: Would that header logo pass California emissions?? ;)

The menu loaded fine for me... I am on dsl and the thing just clicked right open. Nice custom graphics. I am not big on yellow either, but it fits the whole speed theme if you ask me. Who has NOT seen a yellow Lamborghini (sp?)? Yellow is also the first color noticed by the human eye, so it naturally creates a need for the viewer to see then entire page.

I agree with the above post on sprucing up the dhtml menu. Everything else looks so good, that it kinda just looks dull with the hyper-link blue color.

As for the infoboxes, I think they look good. I am sure many developers would think otherwise b/c they see them constantly, but coming from a new guy, I still like the look.

Bravo.

and --

Great Jorrrb. (For all you homestarrunner fans )

Phil

Archived