• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Mail Problem

Nutskull

Hello Guys,

I know you guys have been getting the same messages over and over. But I'm gonna have to add on more pile of crap on top of that. :(

I have read many postings, especially one from Tastenteddy's posting, regaring mail issues and have sort of solved my problem but not quite....

I originally could not get any mail out during

-registration process

-ordering

-mail tool from admin section

Original error message was following

Warning: mail(): SMTP server response: 503 This mail server requires authentication. Please check your mail client settings. in D:\[path]\catalog\admin\includes\classes\email.php on line 500

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at D:\[path]\catalog\admin\includes\classes\email.php:527) in D:\[path]\catalog\admin\includes\functions\general.php on line 18

Now I use smtp w/authentication from contribution. And now I am able to send mails out. However, I still receive very similar error messages while mails actually do go through.

The error message I'm getting now is following

Warning: mail(): SMTP server response: 503 This mail server requires authentication. Please check your mail client settings. in D:\[path]\catalog\admin\includes\classes\email.php on line 527

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at D:\[path]\catalog\admin\includes\classes\email.php:527) in D:\[path]\catalog\admin\includes\functions\general.php on line 18

my php.ini file ontains:

[mail function]

; For Win32 only.

SMTP = localhost ; for Win32 only

; For Win32 only.

sendmail_from = me@localhost ; for Win32 only

; For Unix only.  You may supply arguments as well (default: "sendmail -t -i").

;sendmail_path =

In Configuration -> Email Options I set

Tranport Method : SMTP

Linefeeds : CRLF

Send Mails : true

Mail does go through successfully ever since I applied smtp w/authentication in my email.php. But still receive error messages not showing "registration successful" or "mail has been sent" messages. It looks as if the entire process has just failed.

Can somebody help me get rid of these error messages?

Thanks in advance

Charles

So you store is local?

in the php.ini file change:

SMTP = localhost; for Win32 only

Change it from localhost to the address of the SMTP server you use in outlook express, then have outlook running and the emails should send.

-Matt

Hello Guys,

my php.ini file contains:

[mail function]

; For Win32 only.

SMTP = localhost ; for Win32 only

; For Win32 only.

sendmail_from = me@localhost ; for Win32 only

; For Unix only.? You may supply arguments as well (default: "sendmail -t -i").

;sendmail_path =

This is why it's not working

you should edit php.ini to read

[mail function]

SMTP = localhost ;for win32 only

sendmail_from = [email protected] ;for win32 only, CHANGE THIS E-MAIL ADDRESS TO YOUR OWN

sendmail_path = put your path to where ever sendmail is on your drive\sendmail.exe -t ;for unix only, may supply arguments as well (default is 'sendmail -t -i')

and it'll work without errors, hopefully :-)

Best Regards

Oh, I forgot to mention that my os is windows 2003 web edition.

It is not unix or linux. Thus, I think I need to leave sendmail path blank.

Anyway, no matter what changes I make to php.ini, it still returns error message.

I just found out something might be a clue to this problem.

I'm sharing my server with other domains. When I register a user using the email address that resides on my server, it goes through without throwing me an error message. If I use outside mail server such as [email protected], it shows error.

currently my php.ini shows the following

SMTP = mail.[domainofmyserver] ;for win32 only

sendmail_from = [email protected] ;for win32 only

sendmail_path =

Oh, I forgot to mention that my os is windows 2003 web edition.

It is not unix or linux.? Thus, I think I need to leave sendmail path blank.

Anyway, no matter what changes I make to php.ini, it still returns error message.

I just found out something might be a clue to this problem.

I'm sharing my server with other domains.? When I register a user using the email address that resides on my server, it goes through without throwing me an error message.? If I use outside mail server such as [email protected], it shows error.?

currently my php.ini shows the following

SMTP = mail.[domainofmyserver] ;for win32 only

sendmail_from = [email protected] ;for win32 only

sendmail_path =

Your not listing to me, you also need the path to sendmail, doesn't matter what windows version you use.

The SMTP = mail.[domainofmyserver] ;for win32 only

needs to be

SMTP = localhost ;

sendmail_path = put your path to where ever sendmail is on your drive\sendmail.exe -t ;

and change the e-mail address to yours

Best Regards

Well, I don't see sendmail.exe in anywhere. I thought sendmail was only for unix? I found sendmail.dll in c:/windows/system32 folder. Anyway, I entered both c:/windows/system32/sendmail.dll just for the hack of it and still doesn't work.

Well, I don't see sendmail.exe in anywhere. I thought sendmail was only for unix? I found sendmail.dll in c:/windows/system32 folder. Anyway, I entered both c:/windows/system32/sendmail.dll just for the hack of it and still doesn't work.

Chances are you may not have sendmail.exe on your drives, you can get sendmail here at http://www.indigostar.com/sendmail.htm#Download

Best Regards

• 3 weeks later...

Archived