• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Creating a picture gallery??

ehoyle

I'm new to this so please bear with me...

I'm trying to create a picture gallery from the product categories. When someone selects a product category, I'd like to have only pictures and titles appear -- without the large box and "purchase buttons". I'm doing this to get as much of the product infront of the customer at once. Then when the click on the image of the product they would be taken to a more detailed description.

Possible??

Thanks for your help.

Eric

Ok, I think I have something that might work. Through the Admin I remove all of the data except the product image, which is essentially all I wanted. However, the images get displayed in one long column. Is there anyway to display the products in multiple columns?

Thanks for your help.

I don't know exactly how to do this myself, but I can tell you where to look fo the code. If you have subcategories inside your top level categories they'll be displayed in a grid once you click on the parent directory. Then when you enter the subctegory the products are displayed in a single column. Make a parent with two subctegories in admin, look at it in your browser, and compare the differences in the code for both pages. You should be able to find the code that displays the subcategories in a grid.

OR you could make use of this feature, and enter your products as categories within the parent category, which will display a title and picture, then enter as a product with a description in the subcategory folder you've made. The drawback to this is that even though there's only a single product, the stock site still displays a product preview that your customer would have to click (the let's see what we have here page). Do a search, maybe someone has a workaround for this, I've considered it myself, but I have other priorities first! Hope this helped a bit, Jeremy

Jeremy, thanks for the suggestions. I hadn't thought about it doing it that way, but your second suggestion works well and solves another problem I was having.

I have a product where each unit has 2 versions at different prices. If I use the osC movie example, I am selling both VHSs and DVDs of the same movie. So, creating a Category called "Action" and then a Subcategory called "Terminator" and then within the Sub having "Terminator VHS" and "Terminator DVD" works nicely. I tried installing a script to create 2 different product prices, but it was beyoned my capabilities. Your way is a lot easier. Thanks!

So my next question would be, can I change the "New Products" box into a "New Subcategory" box. Right now, my "New Product" box would show images for both the Terminator VHS and the Terminator DVD, instead of just one image for the Terminator.

I believe the solution would require adding a db field to record the addition date of a new subcategory and some additional programming that is beyond me. However, I thought I would ask if anyone knew an easy way to do it.

Thanks again for your help. It made my life a lot easier.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to be the biggest post to my own question, but I've found an answer that I wanted to share. I may be the last to find it, but there's a contribution that does exactly what I was looking for, placing the product images in multiple columns instead of just one. Here is the link:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,112

Thank you Randy Pertiet, and anyone else who is responsible for this.

I've only had one problem. Products that I "moved" using the catalog/Admin move button, the images do not come up when you REFRESH the page. They come up initially, but when you refresh the page the images are broken. I added these products before adding the contribution, but moved them after the contribution was installed. I don't know if that's part of the problem or not. Nor am I sure it's becaue of the contribution. It maybe something else I did. The products I've installed since installing the contribution seem to move ok. I just redid the old products, it wasn't a big deal for me, but you should be aware of.

Another thing I did was take the prices off the main product display page (the ones that now are in columns) by "//" out the lines that dealt with product prices, with was around line 45 to 49 (??) on the file Product_listing_Col.php that is in the contribution.

//if ($listing_values['specials_new_products_price']) {

//$lc_text .= ' <s>' . $currencies->display_price($listing_values['products_price'], tep_get_tax_rate($listing_values['products_tax_class_id'])) . '</s>  <span class="productSpecialPrice">' . $currencies->display_price($listing_values['specials_new_products_price'], tep_get_tax_rate($listing_values['products_tax_class_id'])) . '</span> ';

// } else {

//$lc_text .= ' ' . $currencies->display_price($listing_values['products_price'], tep_get_tax_rate($listing_values['products_tax_class_id'])) . ' ';

//}

Hope this helps.

Archived