• Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Browse by Categories

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no, no...I siad easy way..unless there is already a way to do this? What I want to do is call all the sub-category links to the front page boxes. So like I have Electronics>Audio & Video>Car Audio. Is there an easy way for me to have the front page module call the link to Car Audio instead of Audio & Video? If I have to, I can copy the module and rename it and change the code to call the 3rd level categories to the front..

I'm thinking that maybe it would be easier for me to re-think my category scheme. I just figure it doesn't hurt to ask. Thanks again for your help!

ecopeia,

Please, review this topic because I'm very sure someone else asked about that feature as well: display 2nd and 3rd level categories from front page. I recall that the site was great, so ask the person for some help if you can, because I think a fix was done at the time, not sure though.

Hope this helps.

P.S.: I keep not receiving e-mail notifications for this topic, which prevents me from answering quicker.

• 2 weeks later...

Didier,

Good question.

I'm not sure, but since the module runs two "not so simple" SQL SELECT statements, one for current categories and another for sub-categories of each current category I'd assume that a cache would make a difference. Of course, refactoring the code would probably be a better way of increasing the general speed of execution for the module, but as I said I don't know.

Since it works fine for me I've not done much to improve it, besides trying to cope with feature requests from other users.

Does anyone have a good understanding of how a cache could improve this module? I'm always open to suggestions, and the code is out there for whoever wants and knows how to improve it. :)

Thanks.

• 5 months later...

Question: can anyone help me sort the subcategory links into columns, instead of the current "separated-by-bullets" format? That way the whole thing would look so much cleaner. Take this link, for example:

http://www.123inkjets.com/prodcon.html?gro...rother&frm=tnav

See how the sub-category links are sorted into three columns? Can this be done with this contribution?

Thanks for all your help!

Question: can anyone help me sort the subcategory links into columns, instead of the current "separated-by-bullets" format? That way the whole thing would look so much cleaner. Take this link, for example:

http://www.123inkjets.com/prodcon.html?gro...rother&frm=tnav

See how the sub-category links are sorted into three columns? Can this be done with this contribution?

Thanks for all your help!

If you don't understand the code from the contribution perhaps you should just find someone that does and have them make this modification. It wouldn't be that big of a hack so it shouldn't cost too much. Sometimes figuring out how PHP works to make modifications to osC is too much for your business model! :sweating: The good news is that this mod can be accomplished and shouldn't take too much time for a competent programmer, especially one that has osC experience. Find one that has used the Browse by Categories Contribution and it probably wouldn't take an hour to accomplish. My $.02 or .03.

I also would be interested in an answer to the question asked by cirakliser.

Would anyone have a better idea than gsbe. I'm afraid he didn't understand the spirit of such a forum...

ciraklizer and anatolius,

In fact, gsbe did provide a valuable answer. It might not suit your expectations, but it's indeed a good answer. Another answer, coming from someone that coded much of this module current functionality, I'd that it is possible, since the work to do simply must take into account these following two issues:

* In order to set how many columns the online shop administrator wants, a database configuration setting must be created.

* In order to display the sub-categories list in column mode, another case must be added in the module code. I suggest that if the new configuration settings is different than 0 or 1 (default value) then the preparation of sub_category array should be tabular. Else, use existing code and make a bullet list.

This is not a minor change but it's also not a major change. It's something straight forward, on a short and brief analysis. Unfortunately, as anyone can see by following this thread, I don't have enough spare-time available at the moment, and I don't know when I can re-start the evolution of this module functionalities.

Hope this has been helpful as well.

Thanks.

Straider,

Thanks for your answer.

I apologize for my frustated comment on this forum. The point is that I'm unable to code such a change, and I was hoping someone could give a (simple) solution. :'(

Hope it will be part of next evolution of this excellent contribution.

Regards

Hello,

This excellent contribution works very well on my site, except one problem:

When I choose, for category icon mode: image only, then the categories images display but under each category image are listed the category text and all previous displayed categories texts.

Thanks for helping me.

• 4 months later...

Hi,

Real novice here so i upload the files that have unzipped, but do I need to change the items mentioned in the SQL file install guide manually or is this done automatically, and if I do have to did this manually I can not see where i need to add the values as mentioned in the text file.

Some help would be great as I really want this feature to work

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there,

I have seen this working on so many sites that I want it too! Followed the install but get the following error.

What's New Here?

Welcome Guest! Would you like to log yourself in? Or would you prefer to create an account?

This is a default setup of the osCommerce project, products shown are for demonstrational purposes, any products purchased will not be delivered nor will the customer be billed. Any information seen on these products is to be treated as fictional.

Error Messages

If there are any error or warning messages shown above, please correct them first before proceeding.

Error messages are displayed at the very top of the page with a complete background color.

Several checks are performed to ensure a healthy setup of your online store - these checks can be disabled by editing the appropriate parameters at the bottom of the includes/application_top.php file.

Editing Page Texts

The text shown here can be modified in the following file, on each language basis:

[path to catalog]/includes/languages/english/index.php

That file can be edited manually, or via the Administration Tool with the Languages->English->Define or Tools->File Manager modules.

The text is set in the following manner:

define('TEXT_MAIN', 'This is a default setup of the osCommerce project...');

The text highlighted in green may be modified - it is important to keep the define() of the TEXT_MAIN keyword. To remove the text for TEXT_MAIN completely, the following example is used where only two single quote characters exist:

define('TEXT_MAIN', '');

More information concerning the PHP define() function can be read here.

Securing The Administration Tool

It is important to secure the Administration Tool as there is currently no security implementation available.

Online Documentation

Online documentation can be read at the osCommerce Wiki Documentation Effort site.

Community support is available at the osCommerce Community Support Forums site.

If you wish to download the solution powering this shop, or if you wish to contribute to the osCommerce project, please visit the support site of osCommerce. This shop is running on osCommerce version osCommerce 2.2-MS2.

Select one of our Categories

Warning: Division by zero in C:\Inetpub\vhosts\sacredearthjewellery.co.uk\httpdocs\store\includes\modules\browse_categories.php on line 208

Warning: Division by zero in C:\Inetpub\vhosts\sacredearthjewellery.co.uk\httpdocs\store\includes\modules\browse_categories.php on line 208

BRWCAT_SUBCAT_BULLET CDROM Drives BRWCAT_SUBCAT_BULLET Graphics Cards BRWCAT_SUBCAT_COUNTS BRWCAT_SUBCAT_BULLET Keyboards BRWCAT_SUBCAT_COUNTS BRWCAT_SUBCAT_BULLET Memory BRWCAT_SUBCAT_BULLET Mice BRWCAT_SUBCAT_COUNTS BRWCAT_SUBCAT_BULLET Monitors BRWCAT_SUBCAT_BULLET Printers BRWCAT_SUBCAT_COUNTS BRWCAT_SUBCAT_BULLET Speakers

Have i not done something during the install phase?? I only saw this once previously in a post and the guy sorted it himself so there was not any clues how to go about this. If someone can give me a clue it would help.... thanks.

dave.

Hi there,

I have seen this working on so many sites that I want it too! Followed the install but get the following error.

Have i not done something during the install phase?? I only saw this once previously in a post and the guy sorted it himself so there was not any clues how to go about this. If someone can give me a clue it would help.... thanks.

dave.

Seems not. My guess is that you didn't run the SQL Script that inserts the required data into the database tables. Have you done it?

Hope this helps you out.

Hi there,

This sounds stupid - how do i run the script? Not worked with mysql or php before. Thanks you for your fast response!

Dave.

Hi there,

I had a look around in myphpadmin and browsed for the file and hit the go button. it said script ran successfully but still getting the same error. did i do it the right way? Or do i need to do something else.

thanks

Hi there,

I had a look around in myphpadmin and browsed for the file and hit the go button. it said script ran successfully but still getting the same error. did i do it the right way? Or do i need to do something else.

thanks

your running this locally?

nope. I am entering myphpadmin through my reseller package and tinkering with the site from there.... why? like i say never really touched php or mysql before.... am i doing something wrong?

hello straider, hi guys , im back on OSC after one year, but i wanted to say to straider that i would love to help him again ( indeed, taht helping myself also :-)

i ca see that the contribution didnt evolved in the contribution download area , and im sur , it s the lack of time as i know straider work so much and got a family to feed :rolleyes:

well i saw the request for version 2.6 , but can you all members taht have request formulate them in a clear simple language, with links if you got like :

REQUEST : blablabla as you can see in ths iurl ...

BUG still not fixed: blablala

Bug fixed that should be part of 2.6 : blablabla see this forum page ....

im available to test the beta version and write an install text and make a report of the avancement ...

MS2

• 1 month later...

Hello

I m french and I have find this contribution. It's good but I would like to create one boxe per categorie .

I would like personalize each boxe... but I dont know how I can? or if anybody have already build same modification??

sorry for my english....

thx for your help! ;)

Hello

I m french and I have find this contribution. It's good but I would like to create one boxe per categorie .

I would like personalize each boxe... but I dont know how I can? or if anybody have already build same modification??

Boulou,

I may miss the point of your request, but if what you want are seperate Category Boxes, one for each Category, to be customized ("themed") differently of one another, I don't see any easy way to achieve that using this contribution. I've given some thought, and what might make some sense is using these ThemeableCategoryBoxes just for a small amount of categories, and all at the top-level. This goes complety against the "principle" behind this contribution: provide a quick, simple and intuitive navigation system through all categories and their sub-categories (all levels).

Maybe someone else has a different thought about your request, and care to post it here.

Regards.

hello straider, hi guys , im back on OSC after one year, but i wanted to  say to straider that i would love to help him again ( indeed, taht helping myself also :-)

well i saw the request for version 2.6 , but can you all members taht have request formulate them in a clear simple language, with links if you got  like :

REQUEST            : blablabla  as you can see in ths iurl ...

BUG still not fixed: blablala

Bug fixed that should be part of 2.6 : blablabla see this forum page ....

im available to test the beta version and write an install text and make a report of the avancement ...

Azer, et al,

Welcome back, and I sure appreciate you throwing this "one up high". I never got around to finish v2.6, mainly because the target was portability: make the contribution usable both in osCommerce and Zen-Cart (as vajra asked me). But Zen-Cart template system made that target tricky for me to hit, so I've not been updating the contribution as I should.

As such, and following your words, please, post all pending requests and bugs or issues anyone may have about Browse by Categories, and I'll try to fixe them ASAP. It may be worthy to kickstart a new thread, since this is 8 pages long already.

Thanks.