• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Browse by Categories

Hi all,

Thats nice to see this topik live for few years already...

I've installed this contribution,

and can not fix one problem(spent two days for this)

Here it goes:

It is hard to explain, so, please go to http://americadrugsonline.com

Click on Category "A"

Click on "Accupril"

and move mouse above letters on the left side and look at cPath...

it messed up everything now, you can try click on "A" again and you will see...

Also, if you wil go now to the different letter, and click some categories there, cPath will be even longer...

If anybody know how to fix it, please let me know...

I cheked all eight pages of this topik and did not find anything similar.

Thank you.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not find the right way to fix it, what i did, I added this to line 209

/catalog/includes/functions/general.php

if ($cp_size >1) {

$cp_size = 1;

}

I think it will limit me by 2 levels of categories and do not know may be something will not work later, but now it is working fine.

I did not find the right way to fix it, what i did, I added this to line 209

/catalog/includes/functions/general.php

if ($cp_size >1) {

$cp_size = 1;

}

I think it will limit me by 2 levels of categories and do not know may be something will not work later, but now it is working fine.

wine,

Then it seems not to have anything to do with this contribution (Browse by Categories). If that's the case, your post is a bit off-topic. I'm saying this because your fix is applied on an original osCommerce file, and not on any of the contribution files.

Why do you think it's a bug (error) of Browse by Categories?

Thanks.

That was a browse by Categories

But I was not able to find fix for it...(I do not know PHP at all)

It was adding cPath like this:

/index.php?cPath=25_40_65_27... and so on if you continue to browse in catalog

If you want, I can comment my addition, and you will see it, anyway, server is not live yet.

P.S. Thanks for reply and keepeng this topik live

Hello,

I would like to use Browse by categories instead of boxes/categories.php I managed to get this in a box , in the left column but there is a problem when I klick the subcategory and I want to gow to the category one level up and the category does not load.

it is like that:

top Cat: link index.php?cPath=35

sub Cat: link index.php?cPath=35_40

and when I click in the position of the sub cat on the top Cat the link is :

index.php?cPath=35_40_35

so id does not load up because it builds a link on the previous link.

what can I do, because I realy like this add and I would like to use it.

Thank you for the help, if someone can help.

• 3 weeks later...
Features Request for Browse by Categories v2.6:
  • Parent Category Link in Product Listing - Aims to present a more practical navigation to visitors, by providing a link to the parent category of the current category product listing. Kudos: belray.

• Apply CSS display:inline or display:block to Sub-Category Links - Aims to allow better control over the way the sub-category links are displayed. At present, when positioned below the category icon (image/text), the sub-category links follow one another, instead of occupying a new line. Kudos: dasoccerbomb.

• New Layout - Set BRWCAT_ICON_MODE = 'text', BRWCAT_SUBCAT_MODE ='bottom' and BRWCAT_ICONS_PER_ROW = 1. It requires new configuration settings: to control the number of sub-category icons per row and to enable/disable the content box title. Kudos: akasharkbow.

• Fix version in code comments - Clean out outdated comments with older versions from index.php, default.php and other files in the contribution. Kudos: Ethan1701.

• Handle Categories with Products and Sub-Categories - Must add a new include in order to present the module content box for when a category with products is not a leaf-category. Kudos: Ethan1701

Looking forward to hear from you all.

Has this (or will this) ever come about? I am particularly interested in the Parent Catagory Link. I have this contribution installed and really like it, but I currently have it turned off because of the difficulty in navigation.

Any help or advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Moon

"Woohoo, Just Havin Funnn!"

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having an install problem. I've done everything as instructed, replaced the needed files, installed the new SQL database...

The "Browse by Categories" shows correctly in the "Configuration" area.

When I view the new index.php, it show all of the navigation stuff correctly but no browse by categories. When I look at the HTML source of the page, in the <!-- body_text //--> area Here is what I am getting:

<!-- DWD Contribution -> Add: Browse by Categories v2.0. !-->

<tr>

<td><br>

<!-- browse_categories !-->

.... and it goes on forever.

I am completely lost. I've read all of the forum posts, and I am still lost.

Can anyone help? Please?

I am using BBC 2.5

PHP version 4.4.0

MySQL version 4.1.13-standard

OS Commerce 2.2 MS2

Thank you.

-Todd

• 3 weeks later...

hi straider , as i can see there as not been a release of a 2.6 contribution version , if it s only because of zen cart compatibility , i thik we should at least try to put on for oscommerce :blush: tell me if you wanna update your good contribution , im "volonter" to test and debug ... chuss

MS2

hi straider , as i can see there as not been a release of a 2.6 contribution version , if it s only because of zen cart compatibility , i thik we should at least try to put on for oscommerce :blush: tell me if you wanna update your good contribution , im "volonter" to test and debug ... chuss

Hi azer,

These are the changes so far:

Kudos: Ethan1701 - http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=65657&view=findpost&p=352498
 * Fix version in code comments - Clean out outdated comments with older versions from index.php, default.php and other files in the contribution. Kudos: Ethan1701.
 * Handle Categories with Products and Sub-Categories - Must add a new include in order to present the module content box for when a category with products is not a leaf-category. Kudos: Ethan1701

Features Request for Browse by Categories v2.6:
 * Parent Category Link in Product Listing - Aims to present a more practical navigation to visitors, by providing a link to the parent category of the current category product listing. Kudos: belray.
 * Apply CSS display:inline or display:block to Sub-Category Links - Aims to allow better control over the way the sub-category links are displayed. At present, when positioned below the category icon (image/text), the sub-category links follow one another, instead of occupying a new line. Kudos: dasoccerbomb.
 * New Layout - Set BRWCAT_ICON_MODE = 'text', BRWCAT_SUBCAT_MODE ='bottom' and BRWCAT_ICONS_PER_ROW = 1. It requires new configuration settings: to control the number of sub-category icons per row and to enable/disable the content box title. Kudos: akasharkbow.

v2.6.0 28/Apr/2004 browse_categories.php - Remove Version from Comments (in /catalog/includes/languages/<language>/).
				application_top.php   - Remove Version from Comments (in /catalog/includes/).
				filenames.php		 - Remove Version from Comments (in /catalog/includes/).
				default.php		   - Remove Version from Comments.
										Handle Non-Leaf Categories with Products.
				index.php			 - Remove Version from Comments.
										Handle Non-Leaf Categories with Products.
				stylesheet.css		- Added Sub-Category Inline Bulleted List of Links.
				browse_categories.php - Moved Language files to modules/.
				-----------------------------------------------------------
				Moved browse_categories.php under each <language> folder to
				the sub-folder modules/ of same <language> folder.

But I haven't made "uniform" changes, such as update English and other language files, besides other ToDos that are still left to code. If people shows interest, I can publish the v2.6.0 "as is" so community can debug, test and apply new features.

But keep in mind that this v2.6.0 is a very "personal" version, tailored for what I need and not aiming at being "public" and covering most people's feature-wishlists. I've not move forward on integrating it with Zen-Cart, for instance.

Thanks.

well if member show interest here after my message , we could start if u got time , for french i can translate as well , and got plenty of time to test ... for the rest my php skill will not help much, also:

IDEA 1 : for 20%s for counting catregories ,we could do some radio button in the admin :thumbsup:

IDEA 2 : provide info in the intall.txt for people using enable/disable categories contribution

for thos 2 ideas and translation i can do this work

MS2

I've changed several processes and procedures I use to code. One of the biggest changes was starting to use Subversion to keep track of changes. This helps me alot, nowadays. Another big change was "forgetting" about MS1 and focus on MS2. Other minor changes also "helped" to invest alot of time away from this contribution.

I've also "stalled" in improving my tailored MS2, since I've started other projects.

I'll try to evolve this contribution, as best as I can, while counting on the help of community to test, debug, give feedback and so on. But since it's been quite a long time since anyone asked for v2.6.0 I assumed people were happy with v2.5.0 features. What I don't want is to invest time in something like HTMLArea for osCommerce, where I worked for nearly no results in the end. But these two contributions have very different "audiences" or "targets", which has been an advantage for BBC.

The final question is: while MS3 remains to be released for "public", does it make sense to invest time in a MS2 contribution? Knowing that code will have to be tweaked for MS3, anyway? Shouldn't we start a new thread, for v2.6.0 onward?

What are your (community) comments?

Edited by straider

• 2 months later...

So......... is there an end to this story or will there be a next chapter??

I think this is a very nice contribution and as such it should continue evolving. There's no way to know when MS3 will be released, so why wait? I'd love to see this improved!

Keep up the good work, guys! Don't give up! :thumbsup:

Patty

I'm having a little problem here and since I'm no PHP expert, maybe you guys can point me in the right direction.

Installed OSC local and everything is working fine (except mail, but it's OK, cause this is only for demonstration purpose). I installed this contribution easily, but when I click on a subcategory link, I get this error:

1054 - Unknown column 'p.products_id' in 'on clause'

select count(p.products_id) as total from products_description pd, products p left join manufacturers m on p.manufacturers_id = m.manufacturers_id, products_to_categories p2c left join specials s on p.products_id = s.products_id where p.products_status = '1' and p.products_id = p2c.products_id and pd.products_id = p2c.products_id and pd.language_id = '4' and p2c.categories_id = '34'

I commented out manufacturers and categories counting on the code, but even when I uncomment them I get this error.

What gives? Any ideas?

Patty

• 2 months later...
Has this (or will this) ever come about? I am particularly interested in the Parent Catagory Link. I have this contribution installed and really like it, but I currently have it turned off because of the difficulty in navigation.

Any help or advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Moon

Another seeker of contribution or event a hint as to how to write code for Parent Catagory Link to be used on product_info.php as well as *any* page that shows a product's name (invoices, print catalog, shopping cart, etc, emails, etc.). I found one post that vaguely referenced the need for a join but still so far from understanding. Anyone?

• 4 weeks later...

My category layout is this:

Top level: Laser Toners

Subcategories: Cannon, Epson, HP, Apple

Cannon, Epson, HP, Apple all have further multiple sub-sublevels.

At the moment clicking Laser toners brings up a page which shows all categories, subcategories and all further sub-subcategories all listed on one extensive page. Its too long and needs to be broken up.

What I need is this, Clicking Laser toners brings up a page which lists ONLY the first level sub categories: Cannon, Epson, HP, Apple (NOT THEIR SUB-LEVELS). In rows with blue back ground (like now, bute without showing subcats)

Then clicking Cannon goes to the category Cannon with a list of all its multilevel sub-categories.

How can I do this

Many thanks.

Download contribution: Browse by Categories

Version: 2.6

osCommerce: 2.2-MS1/MS2

Feature Requests closed by this version:

• Parent Category Link in Product Listing - Aims to present a more practical navigation to visitors, by providing a link to the parent category of the current category product listing. Kudos: belray.
  • Apply CSS display:inline or display:block to Sub-Category Links - Aims to allow better control over the way the sub-category links are displayed. At present, when positioned below the category icon (image/text), the sub-category links follow one another, instead of occupying a new line. Kudos: dasoccerbomb.
  • New Layout - Set BRWCAT_ICON_MODE = 'text', BRWCAT_SUBCAT_MODE ='bottom' and BRWCAT_ICONS_PER_ROW = 1. It requires new configuration settings: to control the number of sub-category icons per row and to enable/disable the content box title. Kudos: akasharkbow.
  • Fix version in code comments - Clean out outdated comments with older versions from index.php, default.php and other files in the contribution. Kudos: Ethan1701.
  • Handle Categories with Products and Sub-Categories - Must add a new include in order to present the module content box for when a category with products is not a leaf-category. Kudos: Ethan1701.

My category layout is this:

Top level: Laser Toners

Subcategories: Cannon, Epson, HP, Apple

Cannon, Epson, HP, Apple all have further multiple sub-sublevels.

At the moment clicking Laser toners brings up a page which shows all categories, subcategories and all further sub-subcategories all listed on one extensive page. Its too long and needs to be broken up.

What I need is this, Clicking Laser toners brings up a page which lists ONLY the first level sub categories: Cannon, Epson, HP, Apple (NOT THEIR SUB-LEVELS). In rows with blue back ground (like now, bute without showing subcats)

Then clicking Cannon goes to the category Cannon with a list of all its multilevel sub-categories.

How can I do this

Many thanks.

maz,

That's exactly what this contribution does: presents a boxed sub-navigation system (either using text links or image links) with the current category sub-categories.

Try it out, and report back about how well it suits your requirements.

Regards,

• 1 month later...

I am willing to pay for help to get the following result... please? help :)

This is for a CD store... arranged for main category as "This kind of Music", "That kind of Music", etc.

Then there is the Artist/Band Names under the main categories.

I would like the CD Titles for each artist to show *with* the Band Names. That is to say... anytime that a CD title (the product) is shown, the band name will show as well - it shows in the header, but not actually on the product pages, the what's new box, the invoices, printable catalog... and such.

I'm so tired of beating my head against the wall on this, please message me with quotes? I don't know any php coders so any suggestions welcome. Time is limited.

Thank you good people of this forum for existing!

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi

I'm using this contribution simply to allow me to layout my categories (which are all t-shirt designs) in two columns on the main page:

http://www.teeshoits.com/catalog

At the moment they are all very close together. Is there anyway I can have more control over the table, perhaps in stylesheet.css? I don't want to do anything fancy, just add some cell padding and a border etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Alan

• 6 months later...

HI.. guys.. I need help Please

WELL I HAVE A STORE BUT FOR SOME REASON WHEN I GO TO ADMIN TO EDIT CATEGORIES TO ALLOW THEM BEEN ON THE

SPANISH SIDE IS NOT LETTING ME DO IT.

I PEOPLE ONLY SEE THE PRODOCTS ON THE ENGLISH SIDE (TROUGH THE ENGLAND FLAG) BUT WHEN MY CUSTOMER GO AND CLICK THE SPANISH FLAG THER IS NOTHING THERE.. ALTOUGH IT TRANSLATES THE OTHER BUTTOMS BUT THERE IS NO PRODUCTS...

PLEASE... ANY HELP ...?? IF SO. CAN YOU GUIDE ME PLEASE.

THANKS.