• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

To cPath or not to cPath, that is my question

jnmunsey

Trying to understand cpath. What does it do when included in product_info.php?

If I go to my catalog, the "New Products" box has a bunch of products listed, with no URLs containing the querystring "cPath", only the "products_id" querystring..

When I go into a category and it lists the products, the links for each now contain a "cpath" querystring.

I don't get it. Why? There are now duplicate listings for my products in my site. Is it absolutely necessary to have the "cpath" querystring in links listed in index.php? What if I removed "cpath" from product_info.php links? What would be the implications?

I prefer not to have some links with cpath and some to the same products without - This will toy with Search Engines and make tracking my products for placement even tougher, and could potentially be interpreted as spam, though unlikely.

Any feedback with clear expanations, solutions, and recommendations is appreciated.

I would like ALL links to each product to be unique, either by removing all instances of cPath or adding cPath to every link.

Thanks,

John M

Ok well for testing purposes I modified filenames.php and the product_listing.php module and removed cpath from the main products listing box. I would have to do the same for the breadcrumbs trail and new products and anywhere else there are direct links using cpath.

BUT, I am not sure if this will cause any isues, so any response is appreciated. I won't have a issue if the inverse is performed(add cpath to all direct links to products).

I just don't want multiple URLs for the same product in my store.

Any comments?

Thanks

John M

cPath tells what category a product is in. cPath is used by things like the category_box and bread crumbs to show where you are in the site. It is very useful for navigating the site so you know which category of products you are in.

I guess you do not need them for product_info page, but they are needed to show your categories. If you go to mysite.com/index.php?cPath=14 you will get a category page, but mysite.com/index.php will go to the main page of your catalog.

Thanks, yeah I realize the cpath querystring is essential to display categories but I wonder why it is in there when listing products in a subcategory.. If someone can definitively answer this that would be a great help.

Thanks, yeah I realize the cpath querystring is essential to display categories but I wonder why it is in there when listing products in a subcategory..  If someone can definitively answer this that would be a great help.
It's used to build the breadcrumb links for one.

Hth,

Matt

Archived