• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Adding a Background to Pages

JaaMor

I have downloaded a background that I want to use as the background for all pages instead of just a solid color. What should I save the background as, where do I upload it, and then what do I do? Please explain slowly with step by step instructions. Thanks so much.---Janet

We will not regret what we have done. We will regret what we didn't do.

I was afraid someone would do that. I have already gone there but did not understand where to put the background image?

Hi there. Here is what I had edited the body of stylesheet.css to look like but the background is still not showing. My image is 444background.jpg which I uploaded to the images folder. Can you tell what might be wrong? Thank you.---Janet

body

{

background-image: /jaamor.com/catalog/images/444background.jpg;

background-color: #AA55A8

margin: 0px;

}

Thanks so much for your help. Since it takes a long time for changes in my stylesheet to take affect (is this normal?) I might not know for a couple of days whether it worked. I uploaded a replacment icon for the icon beside the welcome line on the front page yesterday morning and still nothing. I replaced the icons in the header but it took two days for them to appear. One day I just logged on and - voila! lol There they were finally. Is it supposed to take this long or is something wrong here. ---Janet

Janet,

I think you might either be having a caching problem or a problem with your server (yours or your webhost's, whichever you use).

You might want to go into your admin, click on configuration and then "Cache".

If this is set to "true", and there are other people using osCommerce on your server, this could pose problems. Change it to "false" to see if this helps.

First I want to say thank you for the codes. It worked! Already the background has changed. Thanks so much. I now just have to change the font color on the front page since now you can't see the writing. Still waiting for my new buttons to reappear though. I still can't get over how they could be there before I added the background and disappear after the background was added. The old buttons look awful. I guess time will tell.

Jeff, I checked my cache and it is set to false already. Should I set it to true or contact my webhost, (I am using their server). The icon next to WELCOME was a regular gif image and I replaced (or at least tried to replace) it with an animated gif. Would this make a difference? Thanks again.

Janet,

css.gif

Change "AA55A8" to "FFFFFF", which will give you white text. However, no offense intended, the background you have is a little hard on the eyes: You might want to use something that matches your header and isn't so "busy".

As far as the caching issue, contact your host and explain the problem to them and ask for a solution and/or for them to pinpoint the problem for you, if it's something that you can change yourself.

There have been numerous horror stories in the forums about caching problems where one store's categories were displaying another's, etc, etc.

Send an e-mail to your host and request that they look into this for you ASAP.

Hi Jeff. No offense taken. I am always interested in how the site appears to people. This is something I have been mulling over myself. One part of me loves it and the other part says "hmmm..." If you have a moment sometime, see if my changing the header color makes a difference or if it still looks too busy.

I can't seem to find where to change the color of the text WELCOME TO JAAMOR ONLINE on the front page. But I have one major problem right now maybe you could help with.

I used Microsoft Frontpage when creating my product descriptions and used blue text. I didn't create an entire page with Frontpage, just typed in the description and copied and pasted the html into the description box. Yes you already know my problem. The background is blue and now you can't see my product descriptions. Can I change the text of all product descriptions somewhere or do I have to go into each product manually (over 800) to change the font color. Thanks Jeff and to anyone else who might be able to lend some advice.---Janet

Jeff, I actually found another background that I prefer. If you have time, take a look and let me know what you think. Thanks Jeff.

Janet,

1. Again, no offense, but that background is murder on the eyes...And that particular shade of blue (in the header and infobox backgrounds) is causing some unnecessary eye strain as well; BUT, on a very good note, the shade of blue (it appears to be a slate blue or similar) you have in your "New Products for..." box is much more "web friendly" and a LOT easier to look at it. It's a much warmer and less "brash".

Seriously, in my opinion, it's better to stay away from patterned backgrounds unless they're softer (less visible) and don't distract from the rest of the site so much. All my attention is being drawn to that mess of blue "squiggles".

(Just a note: The sunburst in your logo has various lighter blues that you might want to consider using as a background/infobox color: This will match your site much better and give it a "wholeness" and continuity.)

2. You can change the "welcome" message in your includes/languages/english.php, somewhere around line 35.

3. I looked at your site, and other than the font color matching your header/infobox color, it's readable...But I still think you should reconsider using this type of background. They're outdated, again, in my opinion, and look "cheesy" and unprofessional. You're heading in the right direction, Janet...I'm just a "tour guide", and an amateur one at that. :)

I'm not a user of Frontpage, so maybe someone else can help you along with that.

Janet,

I saw the results of the new header: The reason it's doing what it's doing is because the height of the image and the height of your header do not match, which is forcing the weird "repeat". I'll send you another, if you can't fix it. :)

I'm having the same problem and I know my server isn't having issues. I changed the header graphic (replaced the original graphic with my own without changing the image name) and it hasn't updated in the store. I'm set to false on cache...

Is there anything else that I need to do??

~Ary

Aryonda,

What's the url of your store? Is it a separate domain from "myworld1.com"?

It may sound silly, but you might want to change the name of your image and then make sure to change it in your header.php...

I forgot to ask if you're using any OSC contribution that modifies your header.php...There are a few that can cause problems with your header image being displayed properly.

Aryonda,

osCommerce Contributions are simply contributions to the "world" of osCommerce, by users and supporters from around the world.

Think of them as "add ons" to make your store easier for you AND your customers to use. Take a look at them and I'm sure you'll find several that can be of benefit to your site.

To date, I have used 17 different contributions to better my site.

Some are lengthy in installation and can be really "involved" (by heavily modifying your php files and sql database), while others are simply additions to the code in your php files (in your directory).

As far as your current issue with your header background image, I recommend renaming it and then making the changes in your .css file (stylesheet), like this:

TR.header {

background-image: url(images/headerfade.gif);<---change this image name

}

And then in your header.php, for your logo:

<td valign="middle"><?php echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT) . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'bluefire3.gif', 'Bluefire Gifts') . '</a>'; ?></td> (change the image name to what yours is)

Good luck :).

To have a look at what others have done with their shops, go to Live Shops...You can look at our site by clicking the "www" button below.

Ok, now we're getting somewhere....

Here's the page http://www.myworld1.com/DragonflyDreams/

(was able to sort of resolve URL issue...still working on that one)

But the image isn't showing up. It registers the change, but I'm getting the dreaded red X and the background is nonexistent.... <_<

Here's what I changed in header.php

<td valign="middle"><?php echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT) . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'Image2b.jpg', 'Dragonfly Dreams') . '</a>'; ?></td>

And here's what I have in .css

TR.header {

background-image: url(images/Image2.jpg);

}

Both images are in the images directory and I've never had a problem with this server taking it's time loading new images live....

I think I've passed the need for luck... :lol:

Thanks again!!

~Ary

• 2 weeks later...

It seems that way. All I did was change the image format and it worked instantly. Of course, it could have been coincidence, so I can't be 100% sure....

Hope that helps. B)

~Ary

Archived