• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Tax Configuration Issues

thetoad

http://toyotaauthentic.com

* The store is located in Michigan and I have setup a tax zone only for Michigan to charge 6% tax.

* There is one tax class of "Taxable Goods".

* Under "Tax Rates" it is set for Taxable Goods in the Zone of Michigan to charge a tax rate of 6%.

When I set products in the catalog as "Taxable Goods" it adds the 6% to the price that is displayed and also adds tax as a line item on the invoice.

When I set products in the catalog as Tax Class --none-- then it displays the correct item price but does not add tax to the invoice even if I checkout from a Michigan address.

How can I get the checkout to only tax orders that are from a customer in Michigan and not add taxes at any other time?

I am having the same problem with understanding how the tax setup works. Someone please explain. That is the EXACT same problem. I only want to charge people tax if they are from my province and not to anyone else. How does this work in OSC?

I have changed some of my settings and pt in adumby customer and it seems to be working ok the last two orders charged tax to out of my state customers is there aspecific way to set up this table to only allow a specific state to charge tax and how do you go about it, If my fix is working I will post my answer here when I figure out how I did it!

:rolleyes:

When I go to admin > Configuration > My Store

I don't have an option about displaying product with tax. I have been searching for an option about "displaying product with tax" and can't find it under any option.

Perhaps I need to upgrade the version of OSCommerce that is installed on my server.

Display prices with tax is the last option in the my store page of configuration in the admin section.

In location/taxes, add USA to the list, then click on the folder to open it up and there should be a drop down menu of the states, select Michigan, and I think it should work. If you're in a Canadian Province, you would start by adding Canada, then open the folder and add your province. Let us know if this works or not, Jeremy

My fix I believe is in the tax zone that needs to be set up so it recognizes the zone as the only region taxed I received an order afterwards from colorado and it worked!

admin> location/taxes> tax zones (I put afolder here)> edited my country and state here. Don't forget to set the tax rate too! Hope this helps.

Trailex

Display prices with tax is the last option in the my store page of configuration in the admin section.

I don't have this option! Really! I'm in Config/My Store/and there is no "display prices with tax" option. Someone, help please????

In location/taxes, add USA to the list, then click on the folder to open it up and there should be a drop down menu of the states, select Michigan, and I think it should work. If you're in a Canadian Province, you would start by adding Canada, then open the folder and add your province. Let us know if this works or not, Jeremy

I did this and have successfully added NY to my tax list. But I just added an item to my cart, and it appears on the invoice/checkout page without tax added. What's going on??

Help would be so appreciated, I need to get this site up and running asap...

http://www.sturialedesigns.com/shop

OK I'm still working on this.

Under Location/Taxes > Tax Zones I setup a zone called USA.

then

Under Location/Taxes > Tax Zones > USA I setup in the 'country' United States 'zone' Michigan.

then

Under Location/Taxes > Tax Rates I setup for the 'tax class' of 'taxable goods' a zone tax rate of 6% for the zone of USA.

Now when I shop from out of the state of Michigan I get no taxes - yeah!

When I log in from the state of Michigan the prices show with tax and then get taxed again at check-out.

How do I get the tax in Michigan to only charge once????

Regarding the "Display Product prices with Tax" I have the same problem. And I do not have that option either.

-Tai

Think I figured out why I didn't have that option, Tai. I seem to be running an old version of osCommerce (the one my host provides). Last night I backed up, uninstalled, and reinstalled it to fix some problems I was having-- and when I reinstalled, I noticed that that question (display prices with tax) was on one of the first setup screens before osCommerce is even installed...so you might have to choose it then, and not have the option anywhere else, if you're also running an older version.

So, don't know if that will help you, but it might explain this issue.

Jenn

• 1 month later...

This is a foolproof setup:

Go into Locations/Taxes, and leave "Countries", "Zones" and "Tax Classes" as they are....

Go into "Tax Zones", and insert two zones, one named "Taxable", and the other named "Non-Taxable".

Click on the folder for "Non-Taxable", click insert, then select "United States" as the country, and "All Zones" as the zone.

Click "back"

Now, Click on the folder for "Taxable", click insert, then select "United States" as the country, and "All Zones" as the zone, and click "Insert". Then click "Edit", and change the zone to the state or territory that you need to implement taxes for, then click "Update".

Click "Tax Rates", delete any tax rates already in there, then hit "New Tax Rate", leave the tax class title to it's default, change the zone to "Taxable", put in the tax rate for your state, then in description put "Utah State 6.600%" (fill in the blanks with your state's information, and put priority to "1". Hit "Insert".

There you go! That should be all you have to do!

• 3 weeks later...

I was having the same problem with the "Display Product Prices with tax". (I did not have an option to display just the price without the tax, and re-installing didnt help). I had to poke around in the code to fix it, but here is the solution:

in includes/application_top.php

change the following line:

define('DISPLAY_PRICE_WITH_TAX', true);

to:

define('DISPLAY_PRICE_WITH_TAX', false);

I hope this helps.

I've got the EXACT same problem. Everything in CA (where my store is) is being taxed twice. And I can confirm there is no

"Display prices with tax "

option. At least it sounds like in certain versions that isn't an option. Anybody know what to do for those of us who can't make it work using what is outlined in this post?

Woops! My bad. I posted after reading only the first page. Sorry about that. Anyway, I can confirm that going into the code on that file as suggested by Boyanna Trayanova does the trick for those of us without that option in the config tool.

Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have had a couple problems that I have never been able to solve on my website. With the Shopping Cart. When adding the state tax at catalog/admin/index.php . In admin, under Location/Taxes when ever I change the Taxes Rates for Nevada at 7.50% it change the prices on all items on the shopping cart pages a additional 7.5% automatically. Until you create a account that is in a different state. It changes to the correct prices. But for Nevada customer the prices stay at the extra 7.5% rates plus they are also charged the taxes on check out, so they are taxed twice.

I tried the info @osCommerce Wiki Community Site: docsAdminTaxSetup also The foolproof setup Posted by dustyd_64 on Dec.30 2003, 07:05 AM

Also the other problem is on Check Out after Delivery Information when it goes to the default at the lowest UPS rate it won't allow to proceed to Payment Information until you choose Zone Rates. So until a customer choose the Zone Rate which is higher they can't Check Out which frustrates the customers.

Thank you I would appreciate any HELP !!!! :o

I was having the same problem with the "Display Product Prices with tax". (I did not have an option to display just the price without the tax, and re-installing didnt help). I had to poke around in the code to fix it, but here is the solution:

in includes/application_top.php

change the following line:

define('DISPLAY_PRICE_WITH_TAX', true);

to:

define('DISPLAY_PRICE_WITH_TAX', false);

I hope this helps.

life saver, this is great, someone should add this to the FAQ!!!!

Archived