• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

ABUSE - URGENT!

storm

I have had some abusive reviews containing foul language from some fool who thinks its funny to swear on a childrens site - can anyone inform me how to remove these particular reviews please. Or if it is not possible to remove them individually them for me to wipe them ll clean.

Thank you in advance for any help you may give on this matter.

You can delete them in the database directly with a tool like phpMyAdmin.

For future reference, I'm pretty sure that one of the contributions gives you the ability to approve/deny reviews before they appear on the site.

Hth,

Matt

Below is the read me file from the recomended module - I am stuck on how to " Execute the review_approve.sql query "

Can anyone advise me as to how to do this?

I ahve tried to contact the person who coded this originaly, but his e-mail is no longer in use.

1) Execute the review_approve.sql query, which will add the "approved" column to

the reviews table. If you want a newly written review be approved by default,

change the "DEFAULT 0" to DEFAULT "1", otherwise no need to change.

2) Preferably take a backup of your files. Admin and Catalog sections.

3) Copy all files into your shop directory, retaining directory tree.

4) That should do it.

5) If you want, and know what you're doing, run a cvs update.

Usage

-------

When a new review is written for a product, it will be marked as "not

approved" and will not show up on shop. To make the review shop up, admin has to

go to the catalog/reviews page in admin section, and approve the review using

the bottom of the box on the right. Any review can be rejected using the same

way. The listing will show if a review has been approved or not, so it shouldnt

be hard to find non-approved reviews.

sorry i have been out and just got back

yes it is a program....the link is above for you - DOWNLOAD and INSTALL it!

You will be glad you did if you intend to install contributions - in fact without it you will be stuck!!

Regards

Mark

Regards

Mark A Reynolds

You can also use phpMyAdmin to delete the offending reviews, which might at least save you some time. I've never used that contribution, does it delete existing reviews as well as allow you to keep reviews from being posted?

Good luck,

Matt

I know it doesn't include moderating reviews before posting but can't you just remove them from admin/reviews.php?

(go to osC control panel>>Catalog>>Reviews)

I know it doesn't include moderating reviews before posting but can't you just remove them from admin/reviews.php?

(go to osC control panel>>Catalog>>Reviews)

Yes that is correct, can edit or delete, but unless one knows a reveiw is posted it will rely on someone notifying the store owner of an abusive review or the admin checking the admin section once a day.

Less involvement we have time wise the better. An email notification of a review being posted and either approving it or declining is the best way to go.

Below is the read me file from the recomended module - I am stuck on how to " Execute the review_approve.sql query "

Can anyone advise me as to how to do this?

I ahve tried to contact the person who coded this originaly, but his e-mail is no longer in use.

Thats my question too..

Anyone want to give me the skinny?

:)

phpmyadmin is the best way to go, believe me, but if you're needing something else, you can run SQL from the command line on your server too, if you have access. You start mySQL by typing mysql -p and hit enter, it should ask for your password. Give it your password, and a mysql prompt shopuld appear. You swith databases to your osc database, whatever it's called, and you can copy and paste the sql commands from the sql file, but limit yourself to batches of 20 or so. Watch for errors, and if any occur, start again with the commands from where the error occurred. This is why phpmyadmin is so much better, it can handle scripts with hundreds of commands, while the command line can only process a few a a time. Jeremy

There should be a READ ME document included in the download, and maybe an install one too. Read them first. Phpmyadmin will let you view and alter your database more easily than a command line interface. You should look around at your database, and get a feel for how it's set up, observe what the table names are, and the info inside them, and you'll recognize things that are also in the admin section of your site. You still need to be careful, the drop buttons can eliminate a lot of data in a blink of an eye, but edit and delete can be very useful for dealing with individual entries. Jeremy

Archived