• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Orders troubles

taras

Hello there,

I'm running osCommerce 2.2CVS

I've faced a strange problem when orders made by unknown customers were assigned to customer who never did this orders.

For example one of existing customers complained that she received notifications about two orders she never made.

I've logged in as this customer and noticed that there are two unknown addresses in her address book...

I've checked this in phpMyAdmin and found out three orders assigned to the customer made that day.

Two orders (which weren't made by the customer ) had shipping addresses from the customer's address book (addresses which the customer haven't ever entered).

Both orders was paid for via AutorizeNet. Credit cards in these orders have different numbers. (So I don't think this is a hack)

I've thought that it's some osC glitch and orders of two existing customers were assigned to another existing customer. So, I've checked whether there are customers with the names like delivery names in these two orders. There aren't.

Has anybody ever been faced with such problem?

It happens the second time.

What could happen and how can I prevent it in the future?

Any suggestions are appreciated,

Best regards,

Taras

Best regards,

Taras

Usually, this happens because two customers were checking out at exactly the same time, and the sessions got mixed up.

As far as I know, the only way to ensure that it doesn't happen is to "Force Cookie Use' in your admin. This will force customers to have their cookies enabled in order for them to purchase.

Honestly, I'm not real happy with that alternative though, as I see about 1 in every 5 customers currently do not have cookies enabled, and I'd hate to scare them away.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Usually, this happens because two customers were checking out at exactly the same time, and the sessions got mixed up.

As far as I know, the only way to ensure that it doesn't happen is to "Force Cookie Use' in your admin. This will force customers to have their cookies enabled in order for them to purchase.

Honestly, I'm not real happy with that alternative though, as I see about 1 in every 5 customers currently do not have cookies enabled, and I'd hate to scare them away.

I thought about this reason but the orders were made with the time difference being 3 hours between each order.

Best regards,

Taras

I had thought that the issue was with stored session IDs (for example, from search engines). Both customers access the same session and thus the same info. The one site on which I was working on this has not experienced a problem since I turned on SQL query logging (admin > Configuration > Logging). I had hoped to use the logs to help diagnose the problem.

Good luck,

Matt

Archived