• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Worldpay under DOS attack

Has anyone actually managed to receive any payments through WorldPay today or yesterday?

I just did a test purchase to see what was happening and managed to get through to Worldpay's payment page but I didn't actually go through with the purchase.

So some things are working.

I wonder if I will get my remittance through today . . . :o <_<

i am not getting anywhere near the payments server

I have removed their scripts to get my confirmatin page to load

here is what they are saying...

Dear Customer,

WORLDPAY SYSTEM STATUS

Both our payment and administration systems remain unobtainable following a coordinated effort by a third party.

The payment and administration systems are actually working, safe and secure, but the networks around them have been flooded with requests on a massive computer-generated scale, causing 'service denials'. We are processing payments, but far slower and fewer than we normally would.

We are working hard to solve this problem. We are fully aware of the disruption this is causing you - please accept our unreserved apology. We are absolutely committed to providing you with a live service as soon as we possibly can and are in the process of implementing several contingency plans.

We will contact you again later in the day with an update.

Please note that the integrity and security of our systems and data is in no way compromised. While this type of attack on our system is difficult to prevent and avoid, it is purely a matter of the network capacity being overloaded by the deliberate actions of a third party.

Thank you

Howard Wallington

Customer Services Director

WorldPay

Cambridge

UK

FURTHER HELP IS AVAILABLE 24 hours-a-day:

Europe

Email: [email protected]

Asia Pacific

Americas

that doesn't help me!

mark

Regards

Mark A Reynolds

Seems to be very intermittent. Not too pleased this has gone on for three days. I am paying google to send me possible customers and they cannot purchase. Do you think there is any scope for compensation?

I very much doubt that any of us will be seeing compensation. Since Worldpay has been down globally for 3 days (on and off) it would be the mother of all court cases.

I haven't taken an order since this started, on what is usually a very busy site.

I hope whoever is causing this attack is feeling pleased with themselves.

Dear Customer,

WORLDPAY SYSTEM STATUS At 14.45 GMT 6th November

The WorldPay payment and administration systems are working,

safe and secure, but access to them is intermittent.

Many of you will find that the systems are running normally once

again. However, though many of the measures we put in place

yesterday are working, the "denial of service" attack is being

sustained and still limiting availability of our systems, hence

the service is intermittent.

For the latest information please see our support site at:

http://support.worldpay.com

We are continuing to execute our contingency plans and to move

to full restoration of the service but cannot at this point in

time predict when all customers will have the service restored

without further interruption.

We apologize unreservedly for the inconvenience caused by this

incident. We are doing everything that is possible to restore a

full service as soon as is possible. Please also accept our

apology for the rate of our communications - our mail systems

have also been limited by the attack.

PLEASE NOTE: although we have been subject to a

"denial-of-service" attack, the integrity and security of our

systems and data is in no way compromised. As other major

companies have experienced recently, this type of attack is

difficult to eliminate quickly. We are doing everything that

we can to restore a full service.

We apologize unreservedly for the inconvenience caused by this

incident.

Thank you

Howard Wallington

Customer Services Director

WorldPay

I very much doubt that any of us will be seeing compensation. Since Worldpay has been down globally for 3 days (on and off) it would be the mother of all court cases.

I haven't taken an order since this started, on what is usually a very busy site.

I hope whoever is causing this attack is feeling pleased with themselves.

Well, if there is any way of tracing the people responsible, then I am very sure WorldPay will be after them for this, as they have been losing money also, not just us.

If it were me, I would enable customers who had been affected to register their details on a database, so they had names, address and web sites and then launch a joint court case, on behalf of us all, against those responsible. Mind you, WorldPay has all our details anyway, so they may do that without having to ask us to register our grievance.

We are all victims of this criminal act!! It's no different to losing business through someone coming and smashing your windows or something. It is criminal and those responsible should be brought to justice. I realise that we will probably not see a penny as those responsible would not have the kind of money to compensate us all. But maybe they will be put behind bars for a while.

We are all victims of this criminal act!! It's no different to losing business through someone coming and smashing your windows or something.

You are probably right...

But now I know that you pay millions for your windows and stock I think I will give your windows a miss. :P

This is organised crime on an international scale and is on the increase. I was subject to an email some time ago where a group from china were doing the same thing to another payment processor and caused them millions in lost revenue.

I am sorry Julie, but when the problem of being out of business for three days due to a third party then this is a little more than a broken window which you can patch up and carry on

Regards

Mark

Regards

Mark A Reynolds

We are all victims of this criminal act!! It's no different to losing business through someone coming and smashing your windows or something.

You are probably right...

But now I know that you pay millions for your windows and stock I think I will give your windows a miss. :P

This is organised crime on an international scale and is on the increase. I was subject to an email some time ago where a group from china were doing the same thing to another payment processor and caused them millions in lost revenue.

I am sorry Julie, but when the problem of being out of business for three days due to a third party then this is a little more than a broken window which you can patch up and carry on

Regards

Mark

I think you misunderstand me. I was saying that we SHOULD be going after criminal justice, not just sighing and putting it down as 'one of those things'.

Besides, I hardly think you personally have lost millions from three days' loss of business, just as I don't spend millions on my own personal windows! :P

If you HAVE, then WTF do you sell to make that kind of money in three days ;)

Why are you sorry anyway? Was it you that did it?? :blink:

If you HAVE, then WTF do you sell to make that kind of money in three days

I wish! i was refering to the payment processors losing money as well as the likes of you and me...which will amount to millions globally....

Why are you sorry anyway? Was it you that did it??

I wish I had that sort of knowledge cos i would put it to better use to do something sensible with it...

Any anyway - I hope this doesn't rear its ugly head again but i am not so sure??

BTW your site is looking good and loads real fast on my 56k modem...in the villages we don't get fast things like gas :blink:

Regards

mark

Regards

Mark A Reynolds

Archived