• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

100% absolutely stumped!!

chillyangel

<_< hi i am trying to set up my website with oscommerce but i have no clue on how to do this. i have registered a domain name and have got a host eith a different company, slight problem there but i e-mailed them to ask if they can transfer it over.

anyway

where do i start!!! i dont know how to even create a directory to put oscommerce in let alone open it to edit it! i dont even know where to open it up to.

if anyone could please help me with this?

thanks so much in advance!!

sam

First of all get your domain and hosting sorted out....

ASK your hosting provider about FTP support and about PHP... does it support register_globals=on and safe_mode=off (and can they set that up for you!). Ask them to setup or how you can setup a blank MySQL database (you will need a database server name {like 'localhost' - default on most web servers}, database name, userID and password)

ONCE that is done...

Download and setup a FTP program to login to your site (ask your host which directory is your PUBLIC web site).

UnZIP the OSC program to your hard drive - setup the structure you want to have it as on the website...

default to put the catalog in \catalog\index.php (and all other files/directories)

and admin is in \catalog\admin\index.php (and all other files/directories)

(Don't do \catalog\catalog\index.php.....etc...)

ALWAYS KEEP A COPY OF THE ORGINAL PACKAGE!!!!

Upload the WHOLE \catalog\ to your site (ie: www.yoursite.com\catalog\... )

From there you can follow the instructions in your package.

If this is beyond what you are able to do then I would hire someone to do it for you ----or got to SOMEONE who provides hosting with OSC included with there own support to help you get most of it up for you.

Good Luck

Archived