• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Getting the Databse

quietflyer

Hello,

I have been looking at using OSCommerce, but have a couple questions.

I need to see how the database that OS Commerce uses is set up, what names are used for each field, etc. How do i find access this? Im kinda new to this whole thing.

Also, I want to be able to simple put a link on the item. Meaning I don't want to actually have the person be able to add the item to a cart, rather I want them to click on buy, and be taken to an URL. Is this possible? There are some products that I want to have in the store that I don't actually sell, but I sell through an Amazon Associates program, so they actually buy the items from Amazon, not me, but I want to list this in my store.

Thank you,

Cory

Load the database and then use a MySQL admin tool like phpMyAdmin to view. Also in the OSC package there is a PDF file that graphically shows how it is setup and what is linked where.

It is possable to COPY a product link and past it ANYWHERE (offsite) that when clicked it takes them to your site and that product. From there they can then BUY it or whatever. My creating another link on that prodcut to go to your Amazon program.... Maybeingin the Free call for price mod.....

Load the database and then use a MySQL admin tool like phpMyAdmin to view. Also in the OSC package there is a PDF file that graphically shows how it is setup and what is linked where.

It is possable to COPY a product link and past it ANYWHERE (offsite) that when clicked it takes them to your site and that product. From there they can then BUY it or whatever. My creating another link on that prodcut to go to your Amazon program.... Maybe in adding the Free call for price mod.....to prevent purchase on your Amazon items....

Just wondering if the whole affiliate thing pays off? I don't see how that is going to work, it is just not professional. Besides, as a customer I would never buy that way... either offer the product yourself or don't offer it at all I say.

It kinda works, I've made a little bit off of it. The reason I want to have this is that there are items that we can't offer, but that out users are interested in, so I want to be able to show them where to get it. A lot of the peopl who come to the site are new to what we do, so there is a lot of stuff on Amazon that they would be interested in. I used to do it in a simplier way with an html store. I put my advertisers products in it, with links to their store, they loved it. I've actually seen people do it with whole stores, they set it up so its got a specific sort of items, but you buy the items from Amazon, or another site. It actually works.

Just wondering if the whole affiliate thing pays off? I don't see how that is going to work, it is just not professional. Besides, as a customer I would never buy that way... either offer the product yourself or don't offer it at all I say.
Friends, relatives, and other supporters. Since it gets you a commission, they feel better about buying from you. That's the Amway, Primerica, etc. secret.

Cheers,

Matt

Friends, relatives, and other supporters. Since it gets you a commission, they feel better about buying from you. That's the Amway, Primerica, etc. secret.

Sure, but a website for this? Well it just wouldn't be compatible with the professional image I'm trying to project :D

quietflyer, I've been looking for you but damn... that search engine on the contributions page is seriously flawed. Sorry!

Thanks, thats where it was . I'll check that out and see if its what i need, sounds like it would work.

Since I am here, I tried using Easy Populate to download and upload my database. The problem is when i try to do either I keep geting error messages. If I try to Upload, I get these error:

move_uploaded_file(/hsphere/local/home/imaginam/therenderfarm.com/catalog/catalog/temp/EP2003Nov03-1503.txt): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in/hsphere/local/home/imaginam/therenderfarm.com/catalog/admin/easypopulate_functions.php on line 32

Warning: move_uploaded_file(): Unable to move '/var/tmp/phpm7tSeG' to '/hsphere/local/home/imaginam/therenderfarm.com/catalog/catalog/temp/EP2003Nov03-1503.txt' in/hsphere/local/home/imaginam/therenderfarm.com/catalog/admin/easypopulate_functions.php on line 32

File uploaded.

Temporary filename: /var/tmp/phpm7tSeG

User filename: EP2003Nov03-1503.txt

Size: 154345

Warning: file(/hsphere/local/home/imaginam/therenderfarm.com/catalog/catalog/temp/EP2003Nov03-1503.txt): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in/hsphere/local/home/imaginam/therenderfarm.com/catalog/admin/easypopulate.php on line 730

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in/hsphere/local/home/imaginam/therenderfarm.com/catalog/admin/easypopulate.php on line 748

Any ideas whats going on? I know the text is set up right, I downloaded the tab-delimited .txt file and put my info in that and tried tyo reupload, but get this error?

Thanks,

Cory

Archived