• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

adding modules, patch instead of cp

leizaola

hi I am a newbie. It seems that most of the modules I pick are broken or require to engage the person who wrote them to actually make them work...

I am pretty frustrated with the way you cp whole directory hiearrchies over and then you have to edit the code.

Why not use something like the unix patch command to do the modifications to the PHP files instead of having to go in and edit them by hand.

I am not sure if this is going much flaming, so if I am talking nonsense and there is a very simple way of adding modules please let me know. As the current way of doing things just doesn't make much sense to me.

Why not use something like the unix patch command to do the modifications to the PHP files instead of having to go in and edit them by hand.
How would this make the modules less broken? If the module is not written for the current version or if it has bugs, patch isn't going to make it less broken. Also, patch will have troubles with heavily modded shops, as the source won't look like what it expects. Further, not everyone has shell access on a unix box, so patch files aren't going to be universally useful.

Cheers,

Matt

Archived