• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Meta tags

Hi all

I'm running oscommerce2.2 ms2 and it works like a dream :D :D

Ok Im on the last legs of the addition of contributions one at a time using manual method of changing the files.

What I want to perform apart from a Irish Jig is the Meta tags.

I dont want to use any contributions, just a old fashioned meta tag sytem. :rolleyes:

The question is where in hell do I put them? and more important whats to remove or add to get normal meta tags which are the same on all pages? :blink:

Any surgestions php wizards? :)

I know you don't want to, but you really should install one of the meta tag contributions. They will allos you to have a unique 'title' for each of your products. This, in my opinion, is the number one most important thing that you need to have in order to have all of your products listed in google. You can still get htere without the unique titles, but the titles will certainly help.

Some people don't consider the 'title' to be a meta tag anymore, but officially, it still is. And all of the 'meta tag' contributions allow you to customize the title. So my suggestion, is to re-think your position.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Ok I give it a try and see what happens. :huh:

As I walk through the valley of death :D

:unsure: added so amny contributions might take some time :lol:

But will try over weekend :ph34r:

Cheers

Personally, I like the 'Meth Tag Controller", however, the keywords and meta description really aren't necessary.Plus I know that there's at least one other contribution that is easier to install, for those that may be new.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

I use the Meta Tag Controller contribution, like wizardsandwars said it also allows you to use keywords and the description. I have simply taken that part out. I didn't think it was hard to install, but in all honestly I can't remember how much experience I had at the time. Anyway, in essence it's a simple contribution. I just think it's too much spread out over 3 or so files, so I have rewritten the thing, but I don't use languages.

Any chance I can get the URL for that contribution?

For the last couple of weeks, everytime I do a search on the contributions page I just get 1 full page of misc contributions. I can't get legitimate search results no matter what keyword I use.

Thanks,

-Chris

Chris Sullivan

Yeah I know what you mean. I can never find anything with that search thing, if they can't install a decent one you'd think they would at least allow you to view ALL results in a list.

Here's the URL: Header Tags Contribution

I am not absolutely certain this is what I installed, but I can't find anywhere in my coding which contribution made it. This ought to do it though.

Good luck!

Hey guys,

Do you know if this will work on 2.2CVS? Or do you know which one will work?

Also as I am looking at the contribution, I notice that there are a ton of updates and other files listed. Normally I have found that the newer update includes all the preceding updates, but on this one and a few others I have been looking at don't appear to include all the preceding updates. There is not a whole lot of detailed help in there. Which ones do I need? There appears to be controller and an admin contribution.

Thanks,

Shawn

Archived