• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

newbie - proposals for osc

marafa

hi

i m a newbie here playing off and on with osc and i keep feeling that i m walking blindly into things.

i feel that osc is not organised programming wise.

for example, to change the welcome message for the site .. i got to go into the language directories. thats a bit much .. that means i cant change it whenever my whim fancies. i guess i m suggesting a gui to admin messages.

before u all get the wrong idea, i love osc, its capabilities are amazing and the contributions make it more so. and i m also taking my own sweet time to get my site up and organised

next proposal, if i named my site something.com, why doesnt that name show up in admin site? plus, if i change my logo, the logo doesnt chagne in admin either. cant we have one logo for the entire site?

how bout a gui to select the site's logo while we r there? the code is being is available already

and the default path, as far as i understand for admin subdir is catalog/admin and if somebody malicious found the location, there is not default security option for it. a user has to manually create .htpasswd and what not (i m not sure how it is done)

if u all like the newbie prespective i dont mind complainin more later on ;)

for example, to change the welcome message for the site .. i got to go into the language directories. thats a bit much .. that means i cant change it whenever my whim fancies. i guess i m suggesting a gui to admin messages.

admin > tools > define languages

next proposal, if i named my site something.com, why doesnt that name show up in admin site? plus, if i change my logo, the logo doesnt chagne in admin either. cant we have one logo for the entire site?

Lots of people have their Admin on a different domain to their shop. To change the name, edit admin > includes > languages > <language> > <language>.php

and the default path, as far as i understand for admin subdir is catalog/admin and if somebody malicious found the location, there is not default security option for it. a user has to manually create .htpasswd and what not (i m not sure how it is done)
Osc is only a shopping cart. It is not there to protect the inputted information from your clients - that is yor responsibility. Speak with your host about this )or do it in your control panel if you have one).

Alternatively hit on Google for ".htaccess authorisation tutorial"

if u all like the newbie prespective i dont mind complainin more later on ;)

;) All your questions have been asked and answered many times before.

oh

>admin > tools > define languages

<why isnt tht under localisation?

>Lots of people have their Admin on a different domain to their shop. To change the name, edit admin > includes > languages > <language> > <language>.php

< thats what i mean .. why do i have to change every single language and tell it my site is called osc.domain.com? imagine if i had 5 or 10 languages?

plus y do i have to personally create the database first? php (i believe) allows u to create the database and therefore the osc install script can also do that.

and while we (or I am at least :) ) are still on the database topic, occasionally, some ppl only get one mysql database and need to reuse that one database for other scripts. so some sort of prenom(?) to the table name like osc_address_book would be nice.. nicer still ..let the user decide if its osc_ or tep_ or shop_or what not

plus y do i have to personally create the database first? php (i believe) allows u to create the database and therefore the osc install script can also do that.
Some hosts do not let customers create databases. Thus, the install can't assume that it has the ability to create a database.

Cheers,

Matt

well i m not a programmer just a user

but i feel that its still .. needs a bit more intuitiveness added to it.

and if i have to edit the php files myself to change text and not coding ..it means there is still more work to do (ok . i m not saying anythin about that .. osc is good where its at and will improve in the future isa) but what kind of work depends on user (not programmer) response.

something like marketing study ;)

1. do u think osc is intuitive?

a. yes

b. no

c. almost

B)

Archived