happyhiker

I am not able to upload any images to the mysite.com/store/images/

I am getting the following errors:

Error: Destination not writeable.

Error: Catalog images directory is not writeable: mysite.com/store/images/

chmod 777 images did not fix the problem

Any ideas?

Thanks!

If your site is running on a Windows server then you will have to ask your hosting service to set the permissions. If it's not Windows then what OS are you running and what did you use to CHMOD?

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

• 5 weeks later...

To all those with this error "Error: Catalog images directory is not writeable" and what is happening here is my story on it.

I have installed many of these scripts without a hitch prior to today. However I had the above error and searching through the posts here not solve the issue so I went back to the drawing board and ran the install again without the mySQL propagation. No change.

Then I took a look at the admin/includes/configure.php file and found that my paths did not get written correctly even though the final time I made sure everything had the correct permissions.

define('DIR_FS_DOCUMENT_ROOT', '/var/www/html/'); // where the pages are located on the server

define('DIR_WS_ADMIN', '/admin/'); // absolute path required

define('DIR_FS_ADMIN', '/var/www/html/admin/'); // absolute pate required

define('DIR_WS_CATALOG', '/var/www/html/'); // absolute path required

define('DIR_FS_CATALOG', '/var/www/html/'); // absolute path required

The above defines were not correct and I had to change them to the true root which was more like this:

/home/virtual/sitexxx/fst/var/www/html/

In my haste in investigating the problem I never took notes but I am 100% sure I did not make all the required chmods to the files and directories before the initial installation was started. I had made so many permission changes after the first installation I lost track of where I was so I can't tell you where I went wrong with he install with 100% accuracy.

I hope this helps others with the same issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Where do I find a list of all the proper file and directory permissions?

Also, is this correct

define('DIR_WS_CATALOG', '/su/catalog/'); // absolute path required

define('DIR_WS_IMAGES', 'images/');

In other words, should they be relative to the web root or to the file system root.

John

Constant names containing _WS_ are Web root paths, constant names containing _FS_ are Filesystem paths. Any of the ones stating absolute path required need to have the complete path. Therefore, your

define('DIR_WS_CATALOG', '/su/catalog/'); // absolute path required
should be
define('DIR_WS_CATALOG', 'www.mystore.com/catalog/'); // absolute path required
I'm assuming that your version of osC requires this path to be an absolute -- you are obviously running a different version from mine.

As to the permissions, the images and backups directories need to be writeable by the server. Everything else should have read and execute permissions, and write permissions for the owner. Exactly which permissions are needed for Owner, Group, and Public depends on the server that you are running and how it is configured. There are too many variations here to give an absolute rule.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

Archived