• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Any good books on PHP?

cgchris99

I have been a programmer for many years. But know little about PHP. I am getting my feet wet playing with my OSC store though.

Any good books for a Programmer coming from VB background.

Or should I stick to online tutorials and if yes, please tell me where to find them.

I want to learn more so I can contribute.

Thanks

My favorite, that I use for my OSCommerce PHP and MySQL questions is...

"Web Database Applications with PHP and MySQL" by OReilly

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

I would recommend "PHP & MySQL for Dummies" by Janet Valade, I think this book is really quite good. I have a comparable background, albeit with a hobbyist level of competence in VB. This book will teach you the basics of MySQL and PHP fast, and once you know your basics you will -by using osCommerce- look up the more exotic PHP commands from www.php.net/yourcommand, and immediately know how to use it. A simple search via Google will usually find you the answer you need, especially if you know the VB equivalent (like select... case = switch).

The book is not expensive yet not as thin and useless as some Dummies books. 400 pages. It's in my opinion much better than the PHP Bible (and your book wizardsandwars, sorry), because they try to cover everything in too little detail. My book just focusses on the basics.

Overall, I have started to appreciate the PHP language structure much better than VB even, and since it is based on C (let's face it, that's the only real programming language) perhaps I'll pick that up sometime too :)

HTH,

Willem.

Archived