• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

my new online store

hpqnet

Very nice!

I would change the mouse over color of your links. Kind of difficult to read when it turns light blue.

addforentry.jpg is HUGE! Maybe you should break it into multiple pics?

I personally prefer to have the search box in the left column and above the categories. That's how most sites are set up and it just makes it easier for people to use.

Why are 'gender' and 'DOB' required. This is a big time negative for some people.

You might want to add some instructions to 'shopping_cart.php. Let people know that they need to hit 'update' after changing qty. (Trust me on this one!)

I would add your address and ph#'s to 'contact_us.php'. I know it's on the bottom of your pages but...

What is the difference between "Home" and "Catalog" in your navbar?

I really like it!!! Good luck!

The colours work well, but I'm a bit disappointed that you haven't tried to make your Store into something a little different from every other Osc Store...

Agree about the big image. Needs to be reduced (or preferably removed!).

You are suffering from "TMI syndrome". Too many infoboxes. It's possible to make a store functon perfectly with as little as 3, and it looks a lot less cluttered...

Overall, a nice implementation of a bog standard shop.

Thanks all for the comments and suggestions. I have made most of the changes suggested here, with the exception for the large .jpg upon entry. I am still attempting to come up with something eyecatching upon entry.

Regaring the TMI, I tend to agree (personally) however if you look at sites such as Amazon.com they are loaded with infoboxes..

I do plan on eventually going with a different styling than the standard OSC look, but being that the end of the year caught up with me so fast, I had to roll out something now (try to get in for the shopping season)

Thank again for all the wonderful feedback.

Regaring the TMI, I tend to agree (personally) however if you look at sites such as Amazon.com they are loaded with infoboxes..

That is a very dangerous remark you just made... Im sure you have been a customer of Amazon in the past. I don't know about you, but the website is so incredibly cluttered that I just go straight to the item I want and disregard EVERYTHING else. If they had for example done one or two featured products, I'm sure I would have seen it. But with over 20 of them and various actions, recommendations, links, etc... I just disregard everything.

What you are saying is what I call the "TMIBADIT" syndrom, the Too Many Infoboxes Because Amazon Does It Too Syndrom :D

Look at your site from a customers point of view. Ask some friends to shop with you while it's not online, ask them what they think. No one should have to learn how your website works, it should work the way they expect. Amazon once did this too, but they have become so incredibly huge that they keep adding new useless features. In other words, imitate only if it works.

Thanks .. Yes I tend to agree that Amazon has become to cluttered... I have tried to view my site from being a shopper... I do have some friends going through it to provide me with suggestions and complaints...

Thanks again...

I like the header -- nice graphics.

The left and center boxes have rounded corners, but the boxes in the right column are square. That looks a bit odd to me.

Serious problem: I click on a category and just get the front page again. It could be the Search Engine Friendly URLs -- turn that off. It isn't needed anyway.

In your "About Us" page, change "carring" to "carrying", and lose all the unnecessary capitals. "one of south Texas largest Premier supplier of" is awkward and incorrect; try "one of the largest suppliers of ... in south Texas." On your Price Match Policy page, change "competitors" to "competitor's". You can't tell that I've worked as a proofreader, can you? You should check the rest of your pages as well; I'm too lazy to read them. Customers will grade you on this -- it's one way to tell that you are a serious business and not a hobby.

Do all Texans have narrow feet? I need something wider than a "D" if you're going to sell me boots. Whatever happened to boots that fit, anyway? Ok, this is completely off topic, so I'll quit griping.

You have a nice looking store. Fix that navigation problem and I'll come have a better look.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

Thanks for the comments... actually we carry wider boots than the d width, however we do not have as many sizes, and I have not gotten the complete list of sizes, so that is coming... Too bad osc does not come with a handy dandy built in spell checker... all those years of spelling gone to waste now days with the spellcheckers... The problem with only getting the main page I think was a corrupt cache file. I simply recreated the cache files and all was fixed... I have since turned off the safe urls too. I am working on getting the text misspells corrected.. feel free to have another look at the entire site.

Thanks again for your suggestions and comments.

Much better! As I said, I like your design. It just needed a few rough edges taken off.

I agree that we have become too dependent on spell checkers. They can be very useful, but you need to read what you have written as well. If it helps, paste your text into a word processing program and run the spell checker on it. Get some of your friends to read it also. Remember that many of your customers will be reading this text to get a feeling for your company. If I can't walk into your store and talk to you, the only thing I can do is read what you have written, and I am going to judge you on that basis. It's worth taking the time to do your best.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

Archived