• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Importing Information from QuickBooks 2002

TBK3

• 1 month later...

I'm facing this problem as well (QB Pro 2003), but I have come to the conclusion that the solution is to go the other way. Keep all your inventory, ordering, & accounting in QB since there is no cost info in osCommerce. Feed daily order info into QB & just use osc for marketing & e-commerce. Maybe this will work for you.

Joseph E. "Joe" Stephenson
[email protected]

Tom,

No I don't have a way to "feed it" to QB, but I suggest a note to QB Support to tell them of the worldwide importance of osCommerce & a growing need among many US subscribers to do just that. I intend to write them also.

Joe Stephenson

[email protected]

• 2 weeks later...

You could write a bridge application using ODBC. Use MyODBC for the MySQL database, and QODBC for quickbooks. The QoDBC driver is expensive, but about the only solution that I have found. You can find it at www.qodbc.com

I have not yet bridged my QB and osCommerce site yet. I have done other bolt ons for QB and while the driver works, the database (QB) chokes on things easily. I resorted to extracting data from QB and munging it using another database engine. Read the doc's to get the funky date format string necessary for queries. On the flip side the QODBC doc'n isn't bad.

Good luck.

Zorak

Craig,

Thanks for the info. This would sure be nice to make the bridge between the 2 systems. I believe I will also contact Intuit/QB to see if they are interested in working on this as well. If we all agreed that the "Model Number" field contained the QB 12 character part number, cost was maintained in QB, OSC was sending the order Qty & selling price, then it should be fairly simple. Any other thoughts??

Joe Stephenson

[email protected]

[email protected]

Joe - that sounds like a reasonable approach. It should keep integrity in the QB system and not be to difficult to implement via the driver. I think that your approach is probably the best one and especially so if the store is only a portion of your sales.

Best Regards,

Craig

• 3 weeks later...

Your discussion falls right where we are. If you come up with a solution I would be very interested. While I am not well versed in osCommerce or computer jargin I will monitor the discussion to see if I might be helpful from the user standpoint.

We have been looking at a lot of other software that has put the product and accounting software at the center of the process and then supplies the information to the shopping cart. Too expensive! :)

Hi,

I'm facing this problem as well (QB Pro 2003), but I have come to the conclusion that the solution is to go the other way.  Keep all your inventory, ordering, & accounting in QB since there is no cost info in osCommerce.  Feed daily order info into QB & just use osc for marketing & e-commerce.  Maybe this will work for you.

There is a company by the name of Datablox (http://www.datablox.com) who have all the .IIF formats (layouts of all the file formats for imports to QB) on their site. Even Intuit used to recommend people to view the docs ta Datablox.

I can't reach the site at present. Let me know if you want the layouts.

Peter

No I don't have a way to "feed it" to QB

All versions of QB I have used/seen have the import facility, but of course you would need to create some PHP to reformat the data to the (std) .IIF formats for QB imports.

I used to follw QB a lot years back, from memory, because of the problems with importing/exporting with the .IIF formats, they were going to go XML, and they did put out an SDK (software developers kit; free I _think_) to help people handle exports and imports. Any ODBC connection is always slow, but it does work.

Peter

PS I do have some software that can export from a QB database, and I'd be happy to convert any data for free (assuming it's not _really_ large and not confidential,etc) on a once off basis. The reason an exporter is needed is because most QB versions, up to 2002 or even 2003 could not export all the transactions, especially the detailed journals.

Peter,

Thanks for all the help & info. I wrote to datablox support & received the following reply:

Hello Joe,

Thank you for your interest in our software. You can find out about OfficeQ Pro , OfficeQ Commercial and what they do at our website:

www.datablox.com

Our software is an export utility only and exports data OUT of QB only. It does NOT import information INTO QB. I am not aware of any products that work to import informaiton into QB, althoug some importing can be done using .iif file format.

Regards,

Brenda

DataBlox, Inc.

www.datablox.com

At 04:47 AM 1/14/2004, you wrote:

Hello,

I had posted a comment on a forum on osCommerce about my need to transfer order info from osCommerce into Quickbooks Pro 2003. Someone sent me the following response & that is how I found your web site.

?There is a company by the name of Datablox (http://www.datablox.com) who have all the .IIF formats (layouts of all the file formats for imports to QB) on their site. Even Intuit used to recommend people to view the docs at Datablox.?

I plan to start selling on http://www.alphanautical.com April 1, 2004 and it would be great to transfer order info into QB. Would that be possible? More info please.

Thanks,

Joe Stephenson

[email protected]

So, yes I would be interested in any layouts, etc to help move osCommerce order info daily into QB Pro 2003. All the inventory will be accurately maintained in QB (not in osCommerce). I need to be able to issue Purchase Orders to vendors, distributors & manufacturers based on the osCommerce order information.

Thanks,

Joe Stephenson

[email protected]

[email protected]

Hi Joe,

Thanks for all the help & info. I wrote to datablox support & received the following reply:

Hello Joe,

Thank you for your interest in our software.  You can find out about OfficeQ Pro , OfficeQ Commercial  and what they do at our website:

www.datablox.com

Our software is an export utility only and exports data OUT of QB only.  It does NOT import information INTO QB.  I am not aware of any products that work to import informaiton into QB, althoug some importing can be done using .iif file format.

Yes, that is the product I bought from them, Office Q Pro, a person was keen on converting his QB, and I bought the Office Q product, then he pulled out. :(

I notice theie website is back up again, at least it is now.

So, yes I would be interested in any layouts, etc to help move osCommerce order info daily into QB Pro 2003. All the inventory will be accurately maintained in QB (not in osCommerce). I need to be able to issue Purchase Orders to vendors, distributors & manufacturers based on the osCommerce order information.

I'm quite to happy to send the layouts, but my info _may_ be a little old (I don't know). As the website is up, you can get the formats from here:

http://www.datablox.com/qb/qbaccnt.htm

http://www.datablox.com/qb/qbcust.htm

http://www.datablox.com/qb/qbvend.htm

http://www.datablox.com/qb/qbempl.htm

http://www.datablox.com/qb/qbtran.htm

http://www.datablox.com/qb/qbsett.htm

but if you can't get them, let me know. :)

From memory, using the .IIF format, there were some problems, and that was stated by people who knew a lot about the problem. Certainly when I was looking at QB, etc, I found many posts about import and export problems when using the .IIF formats. But that was about 2 years ago, ........... things may have changed.

From my email archives, Feb 2001 .........

SMALL BIZ--HOW INTUIT PLANS TO BECOME YOUR NEXT BEST FRIEND

http://cgi.zdnet.com/slink?/adeskb/adt0213/2684893:4852661

Intuit is going to share some family secrets. It's going to expose the inner workings of its QuickBooks, so other developers can create programs that will work with the popular small-business accounting package. Co-founder Scott Cook told me he wants

to position Intuit as a platform company, same as Microsoft. That's a grand plan. But I bet he's onto something even grander--like putting the pieces in place to become an online provider of software services to the huge small-business market.

I'm sure the SDK was going to replace the .IIF format, because it (IIF) was a bit flacky. Hmm, it wasn't 2 years ago, I see some posts in March 2003. The newsgroup where you _will_ get a (definitive I hope) answer on importing and what is available is the newsgroup alt.comp.software.financial.quickbooks , here is osmething from 27th March 2003

There is no command line option of iif files.  You could build something

with the software development kit to push the same data into your QB file

without intervention on your part. For more information on the SDK, see

www.developer.intuit.com. If you are not familiar with XML and remote COM

there would be a steep learning curve.

That's why I said something about SDK and using XML. (wow, my memory isn't as bad as I thought).

I'm quite happy to extract the posts I found about importing/exporting re QB, as I have some local archives, but it may be old info, and I always found there were people from the above mentioned newsgroup to give you the answers you need.

Let me know if you want any more info.

Peter

Archived