• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Custom Cable Manufacturing

beuler

Hi there,

I'm looking at implementing an osc store for a business that manufactures custom cables. I would like to enable a customer to configure their cable step by step. ie. have multiple drop down boxes on a page for the different options that a cable could have. The options will change in each box according to the previous selections. eg:

1. Select type of cable - "power"

2. Select connector on end 1 - "15amp IEC"

etc...

Has anyone looked into something similar?? Perhaps a mod of something like the Custom Computer Configurator could do this?

HELP!!

Look in this thread. I think that he was doing what you want to do.

This is easier to do with categories. I.e. Power is a category which has a sub category 15amp IEC has a subcategory...is a product. Of course, this would be a new page every time.

Hth,

Matt

Thanks Matt. That was kind of what i was looking for. Is there any way to set a product attribute which multiplies the cost of the other options.

eg. let's say I have a cable that has three available options. Two of the options are the connectors that you want on either end of the cable. The other option is the type of shielding you want on the cable. The cost of the shielding depends on the length of the cable, but is roughly an extra $2 per metre.

So we have a cable, which has a base price of $125. Each connector is say $25. So at that stage the total cost of my cable is $175. Then the next option is shielding. This is $2 per metre for a particular type of shielding. Then the last option I want is the length. So lets say here i select 3 metres. So the total price will be $125 + $25 + $25 + ($2 * 3).

Is there a way to do this??

Your help is much appreciated.

In general, length would be handled by quantity. Linda's Shoppe Enhancement Controller includes code to allow you to specify that options relative to the ends only get charged once per cable if you do that. You also might want to consider adding length as another characteristic that can be given to a product. That would allow you to have a separate quantity field in case someone wants to buy multiples of the same cable.

In other words, I think that handling length is going to require some custom coding in one direction or another.

Hth,

Matt

Archived