• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

The easiest way to add contributions to your site!

I was surfing around on the net trying to find a way to make contributions easier to install (some install directions can be confusing and vary from contrib-to-contrib). I happened across a utility that I think everyone should know about, if they don't already.

Before anyone gets any ideas...it's not my software, I have no affilitaion whatsoever with it other than the fact that I use it and I think that someone should have made it sooner.

It's called Beyond Compare 2. In a nutshell....you can compare two documents, side-by-side, line-by-line and see the differences. It's made by Scooter software and you can download a trial version at http://www.scootersoftware.com/ . It does require registration after 30 days...and personally...whatever they're asking for it is reasonable.

My only thoughts are, this little app can take a huge headache out of installing contributions (comparing contrib files against your current, and probably already modded files) and even be useful for making contributions as well.

For Mac try Diff'nPatch (shareware). I haven't actually used this utility, so this is not much of a recommendation, but maybe worth a try.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

Jim:-)

Thank you so much for keying us Mac OS X users in on Diff'nPatch. It's actually freeware.

Although it does require a bit of reading (yes.. I recommed reading the documentation), the program is going to help Mac users emmensely :-)

You're a life saver :-)

Khim~

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup :-)

I just found one called compare files, which I am test driving right now. It works like an amazing charm, especially since I have never had this capability before! However, when I have two files and I need to merge part of one snippet with part of the other, i have to switch to a different program. By the way, for shareware Mac html editor, I am using pagespinner which I like very much, but I wonder if anyone has another suggestion there?

psst... wanna buy a wand?

Adobe Owns me :-)

I use GoLive. It cost me my first born (whenever that happens) and their first born and so on :-)

Before that, I used Claris Home Page 3.0. I've never really used anything other than these two or a text editor (you know.. the old fashioned way without the GUI :-)

I'd be interested in knowing if there is a less costly alternative to GoLive that has all the bells and whistles it has. I'm really sold on dynamic content :-)

Khim~

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup :-)

heh, I used Netscape's wizard, or whatever it was called, for a couple of years, and simpletext for tweaking. I figured of it worked in Netscape it would work in any browser, being the lowest common denominator. I just got the DreamWeaver suite, but I can't say I've used it much yet. And it's plenty pricey, so I'd better! I still go back to PageSpinner, though, even though it is text only and I have to open files in a browser to see them.

Did I mention I am still working in OS9? :D It's the highest 9 but my machine just is too slow for OSX.

psst... wanna buy a wand?

I just squeeked by on being able to use OS X :-) I have to say that if you ever get the chance to upgrade your hardware, you have to give X a try. I really can't tell you just how great it is.

I'm so spoiled with my being able to left and right click that I go nuts when I have a program I have to run in 9. (I whine because I have to go to Special -> Empty Trash LOL)

But honestly, your site looks great! I don't think you need a bunch of fancy hardware and GUI's to write good html;-) You seem to be doing a wonderful job :-)

What was it Bill Gates said... something about him not seeing anyone needing more than 640k of memory :-) Heh!

I use WinMerge to compare 2 files. It works pretty good so far. You can get it here:

WinMerge

Oh yeah, It's Free.

For HTML I am a huge Dreamweaver fan. Another nice little program that I found is Alleycode. It appears to have a lot of features. It is shareware ($39) and has a free demo. You can get it here:

Alleycode

I also use Winsyntax for working with PHP and Stylesheets. It is also a really nice program, and it is Free. Here it is:

Winsyntax

Just thought I would share. :D

Shawn

Edited by whatever