• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Do you use a credit card merchant?

nightgyr

Do you use a Credit Card merchant?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use a Credit Card merchant?

• Yes, I do. (ie. WorldPay, 2checkout, CCBill, etc)
    • No.
    • I don't have an online shop.

No, dont plan to and probably never will...

The whole so many percent extra dosent appeal to me all that much...

I would rather dig out a financial plan/loan for my costomer as it would work out cheaper for both of us.

Plus the people Im aiming at wouldnt have credit cards any way.

Not yet, but I will be using authorize.net for processing my cards sometime this week.

I will be going through http://www.freeauthnet.com/

I know alot of people are looking for a good merchant. From what I have experienced and learned so far from these people, they are one of the best choices. No upfront costs like some and they are definately willing to work with you.

A merchant is basicly a must-have in my selected business (electronics) as most orders will be around $200+ and I doubt many of my customers will have PayPal.

I will also be linking a swipe terminal to my account within the next few months to be used at my retail store. That was actually the reason I chose these guys, no one else would do that for me, it was either virtual terminal, or swipe.

I use one,

99% of all transactions are done using a CC on my site.

I have chosen to run all cards by hand. It costs more but I have caught 100% of fraudulent transactions. I'm currently getting 3-5 bad a day. about 3%

Jerks!

Hey FastEddy,

What line of business are you in? I'm thinking of going into reconditioned PCs, but I'm curious to compare fraud rates across different types of shops! :-)

"Most men are cowards, all men should be knaves." - John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester

Yes we use a merchant through the bank.

Theres fee involved but credit cards do generate sales. I highly recommend getting a merchant as said above, 99% of sales come from a credit card!

I have been using www.propay.com. They have been excellent! only problem is that they only accept MC & visa. (you can pay more for discover)

but for the amount of business I do it's perfect. If I start generating more sales, I ca always sign up for a wells fargo authorize.net account.

An average month for me would be about 1,500 in CC sales and My total fees to propay are only about $25... most merchant account providers like authorize.net charge $29 a months +++++++++++++ nickle and dime you to death...

just my 2 nickles..

;)

It appears that propay charges 3.5% + .35 per transaction, plus $10 per month, $20 per year, and .35 per batch settlement.

Is that accurate?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

I'm starting with PayPal but would be most interested to know which merchant service is the best priced... not just upfront price but with all the added extras.

I think it looks much more professional to offer CC services 'in store' and am worried that non PayPal members will be put off but I'm also not prepared to give more than I need to out of my already thin profit margin.

Would also be interested to know which is best value merchant that will work 'out of the box' with osC.

We use the CC processing service from our local bank. They are very competitive. You will need to shop around for rates ans fees as they are different from bank to bank.

Currently we pay 1.52% for a swiped card, 1. 65% for hand keyed and a .16 for every transaction. You need to watch out for all the hidden fees. our monthly fixed costs are around $18.00.

Things to look at are:

Statement fees Charges for billing you.

Charge-back fees They will charge you for customers who decline to pay.

Customer inquire fees. If someone doesn't know where the charge came from and as the CC company to find out.

I was looking the other day and found that Intuit (Quicken) has a very competitive program.

Another cost to look at is the equipment. IC Verify for the pc can cost $200.00 and electronic card swipers are another $200.00. Doesn't matter how you look at it its going to cost from 200-1000.00 or more for the hardware / software.

Pay pal is OK but doesn't replace CC transactions. 98% of all my web sales are CC and 2% are PP.

IMO,

Do not use a payment gateway service. A CC service that automatically processes the card transaction. I get MANY fraudulent transactions each day. If a gateway was processing them I would loose my ass in shipped product and processing fees. I like to look at each order and have the option to call before processing the card. This is time consuming but costs less than the alternative.

This is my .02 on the subject.

-Ed

www.inksale.com

Archived