• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Multiple Vendors

straid

Hi

I have just tried Oscommerce, it seems great.

My problem is I need to set up shop for at least 10 merchants sharinging the same database.

Can Oscommerce be configured to do this or is it impossible at the minute

Roy McCabe

What do you mean by sharing the same database? Do they share products and/or customers? Or do they simply need to be installed to the same database? You can install multiple stores to the same database by changing the table names in includes/database_tables.php (catalog and admin) and install/oscommerce.sql to make them unique. I.e. products would be become store1_products, etc.

If that's not what you want to do, then we would need more info to make suggestions. Note: there is no good way to share products but have separate customer/order tables. People are still working on that.

Hth,

Matt

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the reply. I have in total 26 clients who want to share a database of products ( a catalogue).

Each client will have has his or her own front end into the osCommerce site.

I want each client to be able to see only his customers that have entered through his front end and not everyone elses, as in the customer list in the admin section.

I also want each client to recieve his or her order from the customer that entered through his or her front end.

Roy McCabe

This is a non-trivial endeavor, but to get you started:

1. Rewrite oscommerce.sql so that the non-shared tables have store specific prefixes.

2. Rewrite each (26 total) database_tables.php to use the new names.

3. Remove categories.php, product_attributes.php, and other shared files from the admin areas. Hint: do this before making copies.

4. Make a separate admin area with the files that were removed from the others. Password protect so that only a particular administrator can access.

5. If possible, link all the images directories to one central directory; otherwise, everyone will have to update their image files separately (i.e. when you create a product, you can only upload to one place). Conceivably could be addressed with changes to the tep_image function to share an external URL as well. Linking is simpler as regards the code.

Note: I haven't done this. This is just how I would start working on it. Expect to hit stumbling blocks that I have not anticipated here.

Hth,

Matt

• 3 months later...

Hi Roy. I'm wonering if you had any success with the suggestions presented here?

I am also trying to implement something similar. I will have many merchants, each with their own admin to manage their products. Categories and attributes will NOT be maintainable. They will each have seperate stores, but use the same OSC code on one server. ie, they will all use the same payment gateways/accounts, shipping, and most importantly they will all use the same database of customers.

I'd be interested in hearing if anyone has gotten such a system working?

Thanks,

Mike

I will be looking to do this soon.

I will probably not go for the multiple files/tables method but instead try and do it in code by assigning a vendor id against products etc..

There is also the need to consider the different shipping methods used by each vendor and how to apply these to the products. There is already a multiple vendor contribution that does something along these lines. However, I have not had a look at it yet, so cannot comment on how comprehensive it is.

As far as I can see I will need to cover the following for vendors:

- product details and attributes (title, desc, model, price, vat, keywords, graphics, sizes, colours, etc..)

- manufacturers (existing? or new?)

- shipping methods (by zone, by weight, by price)

- special prices (price, start date, end date, etc..)

- stock control (live, periodical-update, manual, allow backorders, etc..)

- sale notification/invoicing/processing

- categories (existing? or new?)

- customised shop interface (templates)

- backoffice (admin) security

- vendor information

• 7 years later...

Hi Guys

I'd appreciate if anyone has any suggestions on how I can do this:

If I have 3 (or more) osCommerce sites (all seperate companies), but I want all the sites to shares users i.e. I need customers to be able to register once but login/shop on each site without having to register on each site individually. What would be the best way of doing this and how would I be able to this:

Option 1: With a centralised registration page, which copies the form information into a "customers" row of a seperate MySQL table (i.e. Table 4)

(1 x MySQL database - but with seperate tables for each osc installation. Hence 4 tables <3+1>).

All osc sites run off the same MySQL database but from different tables. I then find a way to amend the oscommerce.sql file so that it queries the "customers" row in Table 4 instead of the original row/table.

Option 2: With a centralised registration page

(3 x MySQL databases - 1 for each osc installation).

Is there then a way to create an automated process to run, so that the 'process' copies the user details into the "customers" row of the MySQL table of each osc installation; or

Option 3: Traditional osc registration page for each osc installation

But find a way to have the "customers" row copied to the other databases (or tables) by some automated process, everytime someone registers or on a daily basis

Any input or ideas on how I can do this will be really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Archived