• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

MySQL table crashes: My Fault or Host's?

k_budiarto

I've been getting this error on my OSC site.

1016 - Can't open file: 'whos_online.MYI'. (errno: 145)

delete from whos_online where time_last_click < '1066968201'

[TEP STOP]

Is it my fault or is my host's fault for crashing the table every once in awhile? I know it can be fixed by doing "REPAIR TABLE whos_online;" but I don't want to be doing it everytime it crashes.

This is what MySQL gives me after doing REPAIR TABLE:

my_database.whos_online repair warning Number of rows changed from 11 to 10

my_database.whos_online repair status OK

Should I be concerned?

Host problem. CPanel? MySQL between 4.012 and 4.014? They are incompatible. wizardandwars posted what the problem was on the CPanel side, if you want to search his posts (something about client services version not matching the server version). On the MySQL side, apparently you can update to 4.015a to fix it. Note: this is not an osCommerce problem; it is a result of using MySQL (see versions above) on a CPanel machine.

Hth,

Matt

I am not sure if my control panel is cPanel since it doesn't look like cPanel's. I took a screenshot if you could tell what it is.

Also, here is the server info:

Server OS: FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE

Database: MySQL 4.0.13

PHP Version: 4.3.2 (Zend: 1.3.0)

ipowerweb.jpg

Even if it's not actually CPanel, it could still have the same problem. In general, updating to 4.015a fixes this error (MySQL added checking to compensate).

Hth,

Matt

Thanks for helping me out, Matt.

However, I don't think I have complete access to my MySQL database since I can only access it through the web.

And I don't think my host is going to update it just for me.

If your host insists on using buggy software versions, I would switch hosts. Real hosts will move you to a server with an appropriate software version and/or upgrade if necessary.

Good luck,

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

While updating is the correct permanent fix, in the short term, there is a fix posted in the Tips & Tricks folder. I think that Burt started the thread originally.

Hth,

Matt

Ask your host to add the myisam-recover option to their mysql startup.

This will cause mysql to recover and unlock any locked tables upon restart.

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - A. Einstein

Archived