• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Temporary and permanent shopping carts

amasters

I am new to osCommerce. I'm in the process of configuring my shop and don't see any means by which a customer can make a purchase without opening an account. The list of features at http://www.oscommerce.com/about/features mentions "Temporary (not logged on) and permanent (logged on) shopping carts". Where can I find more information about this subject?

Thanks,

Anne

Basically this means that anyone can come and browse through your shop and add items to their cart. If they go through to checkout, they have to create an account and the items in their cart are then permanently stored in the database and are associated with their customer id. So, when logged in, a customer can add any amount of items to their cart and come back several hours, days, months later and those items will still be there. They are only removed when purchased or when the customer manually removes them, or if you yourself delete them from the database.

If a customer is either not registered or registered but not logged on, they can still add items to their cart but after about 15 minutes of inactivity, the session ends and those items are lost.

I hope that answers your questions.

Archived