• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Hosted with Godaddy

Downloaded and tried to install oscommerce today with no luck. I got through the install but then I started getting the following errors as soon as I clicked into the store:

Warning: main() [function.main]: open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/usr/local/lib/php/includes/languages/.php) is not within the allowed path(s): (/home/content/m/a/l/malibubands) in /home/content/m/a/l/malibubands/html/catalog/includes/application_top.php on line 285

Warning: main(includes/languages/.php) [function.main]: failed to create stream: Operation not permitted in /home/content/m/a/l/malibubands/html/catalog/includes/application_top.php on line 285

Fatal error: main() [function.main]: Failed opening required 'includes/languages/.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/content/m/a/l/malibubands/html/catalog/includes/application_top.php on line 285

I read a bit on these forums but couldn't find anything definitive. I know that godaddy, my host, runs everything in safe mode. Is it impossible to get osCommerce to run in safe mode? Is it impossible to get godaddy to turn safe mode off for a site? Please help!

I tried running on godaddy with no luck. First, I e-mailed support to ask if OScommerce would run on their site. The e-mail I received back said they didn't know why not. But, I couldn't get the install script to run. In reading their help, I found the following comments. I don't know technically, if it will run. I didn't try further because I felt that ongoing support help wouldn't be there if I had problems.

from godaddy's help files

Our CGI accounts are not intended to support online stores. One of the limitations of the CGI plan is that its server does not host a secure certificate. This means that site hosted on it will not be able to create secure (e.g. encrypted) connections with their visitors. It is theoretically possible to create a simple online store that takes orders and writes them to a data file on the server for later retrieval, but this is not recommended, as all data would be sent in the clear.  .......To be of use, scripts and applications will need to be placed within the CGI directory that resides inside the hosting space on our server. Files in that directory will be executable. The root directory of the hosting account is not. This means that scripts or applications that have been placed anywhere on the server except the user's CGI directory will not work.

Archived