• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

SSL or not ?

ianmoss

Hi,

I was just wondering about the SSL bit.

If you're main security concerns would be passing Credit Card details unencrypted accross the internet then do you need to use SSL if you're CC Payment is provided by a 3rd party (like your bank) ?

Also would you need SSL if your only payment is in the from of NOCHEX or PayPal ?

Thanks in advance for any help

Ian

I think most people are happy to register on a site without SSL, but wouldn't want to enter Credit Card details unless the page was SSL'd up.

I'm just looking into a shop which I'm not sure if it will be a success or not.

The SSL Cert.s (from Verisign) are pretty expensive, so am trying to avoid the expense if I can.

I think most customers would be ok with signing up on an unsecured page. Probably only about 5% of customers would complain or go someplace else.

And who gives a crap about that 5% anyways? I mean we've all got about as many online sales as we could possibly want, don't we? Screw em, I say.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

BTW, I completly agree that $35 is a ridiculous amount to pay for a measly 5% of total customers.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

ha ... lol

Yeah I've sooo many sales and I havn't even got a shop yet !!!

Ok, so I'm new to this ... If it were just $35 I wouldn't even think about it. It would be a no brainer.

Maybe I st00pid but Verisign look to be charging ?349 for a a yrs Cert ?

As far as I can figure they are the only people authorised to sell SSL Certs.

Hmm as it turns out it looks like I might have one already ... not sure yet ... have Ensim installed so I thought that used SSL.

Just when you think you have something susssed there's always a million new things to figure out !!!

I'm glad to took my posts lightheartedly, as they were intended. I'm oft misunderstood on these forums.

Anyways, try these...

www.freessl.com (not free actually, they're $35)

or

www.instantssl.com (aobut $49)

• 2 months later...

Archived