• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Friendly URL for google

Madman00

They are both equally friendly.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

#1 is much better

This is false. Google give no preference.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

If it's a simple one like the one listed it dosen't really matter, but as soon as the url get's a little longer it will.

Believe me, I make a living optimizing for google, I should now ;)

The obvious things are to make the title dynamic, it should have the product name or something like that. You can also include the category if that dosen't make it to long.

Also enclose the breadcrums in H1 tag.. that should really help. Make the pages spider friendly (there is an option in admin (works like a charm)

Try to include a site map. Each page (especially the products) should have at lesat to links pointing to them.

Nd the most important part is to get as many links from other sites pointing to yours. That dosen't have anything to do with OSC, but it's always worth mentioning.

These are the basics, if you have any specific questions let me know.

Javi

If it's a simple one like the one listed it dosen't really matter

Well, since the question was *specifically* about this url....

Then the correct answer is no. There is no difference, and your original statement that the first one is better is absolutly incorrect.

Google does not care. And, and additional parameter wouldn't matter either. Google DOES have a size restriction on how long a URL can be, but it doesn't matter if it delimits with '?' or with '=' or '/', that limit is still the same.

Also, Google only conts links from sites that have a PR4 or higher, so links form websites with lesser PRs won't help much, if at all.

Ok Chris the first answer might be no like you said, but for that SPECIFIC URL. The URL will get longer if I can make it any easier for Goolge, I will.

So... I will change my original answer to: I recommend #1

Also, Google only conts links from sites that have a PR4 or higher, so links form websites with lesser PRs won't help much, if at all

Thats a common misconception. They might not appear when you search for the backlinks of a page, but the DO count. Ignoring them is a big mistake.

Just my opinion,

Javi

The URL will get longer

What makes you think that url would get longer? The 2 URLs are EXACTLY the same length. And they ALWAYS will be. Why would you think that a dynamic content URL would be longer than SEF one?

They might not appear when you search for the backlinks of a page

Backlinks are predominantly what Google uses to assign your website a PR ranking. And PR ranking is the number one variable used in placing your site in the index.

Links from websites with a PR less than 4 can help, but not significanty. And links from sites that have been banned can actually hurt.

Links from websites with a PR less than 4 can help, but not significanty.

I don't kow why you say that, I have sites built on PR<4 backlinks with top positions for there KWs. I have the impression that you're just repeating what you've heard elsewhere :unsure:

And links from sites that have been banned can actually hurt.

Hey at least we agree here :D

Whats the best way to get links to your site?

Submitting to directories and link exchanges are the most common. Linkpartners.com is a directory of people looking for exchanges

Are link farms a bad idea?

Very bad idea. See the post above by Chris about links from banned sites

Javi .

To get back on topic, I'll again ask, Javi, why you think that a dynamic content URL would be oonger than a SEF URL from the smae page?

As a side note, PR does not determine ranking alone. I can build a site with a pr of 0, and still get the top position for the keyword "gweebodisk", or the keyword phrase "buy new late model stock car racing bumper stickers".

In other words, just saying that you got hte top position for a keyword, or keyword phrase isn't saying much. And it's the very same thing that SEO frauds use to dupe new online busniesses into wasting tons of money.

To get back on topic, I'll again ask, Javi, why you think that a dynamic content URL would be oonger than a SEF URL from the smae page?

Although Madman asked a specific question, I gave my opinion on general PHP links. They tend to get ugly, and if I have the possibility to fix that I WILL. I don't know why it's so hard to understand

As a side note, PR does not determine ranking alone. I can build a site with a pr of 0, and still get the top position for the keyword "gweebodisk", or the keyword phrase "buy new late model stock car racing bumper stickers".

Thats nothing new. "On site SEO" is (at lesat for me) more important than PR most of the times.

I'm just saying that PR<4 backlins are not unimportant like you said, just coz they don't appear when you do a backlink search. They don't appear, but they DO count.

With that said, I'll let you have the last word

Archived