• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Price too low to advertise, call for price?

I need somethign that will allow customers to put their email address in and the price quote be emailed to them for thta specefic product. Is something like this available??

Or how about an old fashoned "to olow to advertise, please call" How would i do this. It wont allow me to enter this.

You can check out that emailing system thta will email the customers here:

http://www.superchargersonline.com/product...er=V4FA218-070T

Thanks!

I too need something like this.

But what I thought about was listing that it "too low to list" but also add "Add to cart to see price"

Then when they add to the cart it shows the real price.

this way it's not advertised below the MAP and you don't have to answer emails about it everytime someone just wants to check a price.

I have seen other sites do it this way.

I'm in the same boat (same business) where I am not allowed to "advertise" below certain prices and know that I have lost many many sales because I am listing them at much higher prices than I will sell them at.

I know there is a contrib that I think Linda put together that includes this but it is huge and includes much more than this small piece.

At a high level all I would like is that when a certain *special* amount is entered in the product price field in the admin console, that the words "call for price" appear when viewing that product. the only thing I haven't figure out is how to prevent that item from being put into the basket or displaying an "alternate" price when they do put it in the basket.

But what I thought about was listing that it "too low to list" but also add "Add to cart to see price"

this way it's not advertised below the MAP and you don't have to answer emails about it everytime someone just wants to check a price.

Thats a very good idea, i like the "add to cart to see price" deal. Someone make that contrib :cool:

But what I thought about was listing that it "too low to list"  but also add "Add to cart to see price"

Thats a very good idea, i like the "add to cart to see price" deal. Someone make that contrib :cool:

actually, i think i just thought of a way to do this. and pretty easy to boot! i am going to write it today/tomorrow and test it.

I don't have bandwidth to make formal contribs but if you guys are interested, i will share offline...IF I am sucessfull! B)

ok, so here is where I am at. not sure we still won't violate any MAP but.

-I added another field to the product table called "display price". It defaults to a value of 0 (display) but if set to 1, won't display the price.

-I modified product_info.php to check this field and if it's set to "1", it will display a message like "Lowest Price. Only if this item is added to the shopping cart will the user know what the price is (normal functionality of the system). If that field is "0" (default) it will display information like usual.

I still need to modify index.php with the same logic because prices are displayed there also (product listing). this might be a little trickier but I am in my "zone" right now....

I know this is not perfect and didn't really follow Osc contrib authoring guidelines but it works pretty darn good for me. I also modified the categories.php file in the admin panel to allow the input of this value.

I can't help but wonder if some of the vendors that are sensitive to advertised prices will still find this unacceptable. I have one vendor which has a really bad reputation of going after vendors who advertised for less then what they allow and I wonder if they will pop a rivet over this little trick we are playing.

Unfortunately I can't post a link to my test store because the TOS here does not allow it. I will continue to plug away and see where I end up. I have wanted something like this for months and think I have found a work around I am willing to live with on my store.

might not be a bad idea if the moderators moved this thread to the contribs section???

B)

Carrerarod, Are you going to make this a contribution?

Unfortunately I don't have the time to make an official contrib plus my shop is so custom and far from the stock scripts it would be time consuming to try and document for a vanilla osc install....

I don't mind sharing with others....It's not a very difficult task, just a lot of code to change and quite a few lines to implement on both the admin side and catalog side.

Um - I hope this is just an American thing, but what is a MAP?? Aside from a big foldy paper thing useful for mopping up juice spills in a car on long journeys.

Have you looked in the contributions - this has already been done.

FREE CALL FOR PRICE by Linda McGrath.

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,134/page,9

You can remove the price a put any of the following graphics:

Free

Coming Soon

Show Room Only

Visit Other Store 1-3

Blow Out Specials

3 Days Only

Today Only

Limited Time Only

Sold Out

and more....

The Call for Price would ALMOST work. The problem is, it would have to show the "graphic" and then if you add to cart put in the actual price. It could not show the Price until you added to the cart.

Unless I am missing something, the call for price does not have this feature.

MAP=minimum advertised price. The manufacturers set this and will not let you advertise below this specific price. If you do, they will not sell you product. If your not buying direct from the manufacturer, it is usually not an issue. However, I have one distributor that also makes use use the MAP.

• 1 month later...

I've written a contribution to automate this process. You can find it in the Contributions section of this site, follow this link.

What does it do?

- In the "Add Product"/"Update Product" screen is a field for "MAP." You put your actual sale price for the product in the "Net Price" field as normal, and your minimum advertised price in the "MAP" field.

- Every time a price is displayed, osCommerce checks the price against the MAP. Three things can happen:

1. If the price (and special price, if you have one) is above the MAP, the price is shown as normal. If MAP is set to 0 (ie, no MAP for this product) then this will always happen for this product.

2. If the price is below the MAP, a link is displayed that says "click for price."

3. If the normal price is above the map, but the "special" price is below, the normal price is shown with a strikethrough and the link is displayed that says "click for price."

When a customer clicks on the link, they are taken to a modified "contact us" form that says "Automatic price quote." All they have to fill in is a name and an email address, click okay and the product's information is instantly emailed to them. In the current version an email is also sent to the store owner for documentation purposes.

If you have any more questions or comments, or to report a bug, check out the support thread here.

Archived