• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Cart design/layout+other questions.

Hello everyone, I?ve been working on my shop off and on now for a few months, I just jumped back into it and have some questions. These may be fairly dumb questions, keep in mind I?m not a programmer and have already searched forums.

First my site is www.forscs.com I?m trying to redesign oscommerce into a compact design because I wont be carrying to many products. The problem I?ve ran into is there doesn?t seem to be an easy way to change width, padding, and cell spacing properties on all of the pages. So far I?ve done index, header and footer, but if you click another link, its back to default specs. I?m some what stumped as if I need to do each page by hand.

Secondly, can I disable account log in?s? I?d like to just let people buy their product, receive confirmation # and be done with it.

Third, I live in California where there?s like 75 different tax rates, is there a contribution that addresses this?

Oh, one other thing, I installed my cart in the /catalog directory, is there a way I can move it to the defult www. directory with out all the linking getting messed up? As of now I?m using a redirect, but that?s kinda lame.

Thanks. =]

-Tim

ok I'll try and help

1. I think there is a contro that allows you to adjust all box sizes in one go and maybe the layout if I remember correctly. You'll have to search for it

2. I know there is a contro that allows guests to buy without registering.

3 can't help

4. I use .htaccess to redirect. You don't even know that you are being redirected. in your root dir put a .htaccess with this in it

# redirect errors on bar21 to the cgi home page

ErrorDocument 404 http://www.hardwaresale.com.au/olshop/catalog/index.php

RedirectMatch temp ^/$ http://www.hardwaresale.com.au/olshop/catalog/index.php

not sure how this will look in the post... but there is only suppose to be three lines.. of course change the address to your address.. This will also redirect if someone links to a 404 link

might help with tax in CA. I am also in CA. my udnerstanding is that you charge the tax rate of where your store is located to in-state sales. as you are aware, out of state dont pay tax.

my business is registered in Ventura county which is 7.25% so anyone I ship to in CA will get charged this amount. out of state no tax.

thax for the info guys, i'm still hunting for the file in which i can chnage all of the tables sizes, anyone know, i dont really want to do them all by hand.

Hey there...

The absolute best contribution I have seen so far...is the STS thingie... Simple Template System. It'll allow you to design oscommerce exactly how you want it. Another thing, with the california tax correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it goes like this:

California residents pay sales tax (not sure what the actual rate is)

And one of the counties pays a different tax, either san diego or san fran. (Not quite sure)

I ran into this problem designing something for a client, who lived in Ca. I never could figure it out, but did find a guy that knows how to do it, he's a member here...I'll ask him if he made it into a contribution (he normally does).

My best suggestion to you is to get the STS contribution, and use that to customize your site, it's god sent. AWESOME. Here is the link to is Link

It's actually VERy easy to install too, even an idiot like me can do it!

Christina

California residents pay sales tax (not sure what the actual rate is)

And one of the counties pays a different tax, either san diego or san fran. (Not quite sure)

I ran into this problem designing something for a client, who lived in Ca. I never could figure it out, but did find a guy that knows how to do it, he's a member here...I'll ask him if he made it into a contribution (he normally does).

california residents pay the tax rate of where the business is registered. I confirmed this with both my accountant, the county and a lawyer.

B)

Archived