• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Help! Error on website: 1016 - Can't open file

Austin519

Hey guys, I need some serious help. I am receiving an error message on my website today when popping up the main index, where it worked perfectly the day before and I haven't changed anything. Anyone know what's up? The error is:

1016 - Can't open file: 'whos_online.MYI'. (errno: 145)

delete from whos_online where time_last_click < '1066188095'

[TEP STOP]

I have literally changed nothing. The site is live so people are coming and going and buying. The website address is www.modernsandp.com. Thanks guys.

Austin519

You might want to do a search for whos_online.MYI.

There are literally hundreds of posts containing the answer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

God, this new search is ABSOLUTLY HORRIBLE.

Sorry about that. Here's the answer....

For now, you can just drop and recreate the table. Or, if you go in through phpmyadmin, click on the 'rapair table' option.

However, this is not a permanent solution. The root of the problem is that your host has upgraded the MySQL Server software (probably through an automated cpanel update) but has not updated the MySQL client software (which must be updated manually).

Until this client software is upgraded, this error will occur with alarming regularity.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

wizardsandwars:

Yep it sure is...it's a total freaking nightmare. Methinks that vBB is better at the way they do it.

I actually host the thing myself...and the only thing I can imagine that I did wrong was that I accidentally changed the date on my computer while I was fiddling with my calendar and a MySQL process depended upon this? That's all I can imagine.

Regardless...this is how I fixed it (http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/myisamchk_syntax.html):

I closed down the SQL server, went to the directory that housed my mysql/bin files in the command prompt and typed:

myisamchk c:\(path to mysql)\data\oscommerce\*.MYI

Which told me which MYI files were corrupted, followed by:

myisamchk --silent --force --fast --update-state -O key_buffer=64M -O sort_buffer=64M -O read_buffer=1M -O write_buffer=1M c:\(path to mysql)\data\oscommerce\*.MYI

It works now.

When you are talking about the client and the server software what two items are you referring to? Because I installed the 4.0.14 package on my computer and haven't updated anything...

And thanks, I appreciate all the help.

Austin519

To tell the truth, I'm not a host, and I know nearly nothing about hosting. This is just how it was explained to me.

A few months back, nearly EVERYONE in this forum had the same problem. It happed when 'cpanel' decided to include the new update for MySQL, version 4.0.12 from version 3.9.xx.

We learned early on that we could drop and repair the table through phpmyadmin, and we even devised a little fix that would put a lnik up for the customer to click on that would drop and repair the table for us, however, it continued to happed, every day, just after our hosts rant he cpanel auto update script (which runs daily)

Our hosts mostly had no idea what hte problem was, and both te cpanel and MySQL dev teams pointed fingers at each other.

Finally, somone on the official cpanel forums indicated that they found the problem. The discovered that the auto update cpanel script was updating the MySQL version to 4.0.12, but it was not updating the client services at the same time, and the old client services were not compatible with the new MySQL version, and would create a corrupt table (or two).

Anyways, it seemed that most of the other hosts knew what he was talking about, because it waqsn't long after that everyones problems started going away.

Sorry for the lengthly history lesson.

Best of luck.

Archived