• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Crap this forum is down a lot.

cgchris99

This is because there is an average of 80 users on at any one time. All accessing the DB, all using b/w etc etc.

It costs money to run this place, so if you moan and groan too much you could lose it! Where would you then get support?

Funny how we never had this problem with the old forum.......while the new forum has some great features, it's pointless if you can't get in or have to wait 10 minutes for it to change screens. Maybe if you can't get this forum to work consistently, you should switch back to the one that works until you can get the bugs out of this one!?

InvisionBoard is more CPU intensive than phpBB, which we obviously experienced after the migration had occured.

We didn't move back because moderators would lose the super hero powers that InvisionBoard provides them; instead we tried every software solution possible to improve the performance, and finally went for a hardware solution when everything else failed.

Yesterday, Pair generously upgraded the server at no extra cost, and since then the performance of the forums, and the whole site in general (also hosting the German support forums), has returned to a healthy level.

An announcement will be made on the pending weekly report.

:heart:, osCommerce

Hi.

Thirst I say that I posted on this thread here thread

Second I must say Burt said "It costs money to run this place, so if you moan and groan too much you could lose it! Where would you then get support?" and don't take it wrong now but I don't see any point to say something like that.

No one should ever say something like that as a threat that the community could loose the support if we moan over a bad working support, now I meen bad working board and not the great support the community gives us all :D

But if the board don't work as it should we all and osCommerce will loose the good reputation it have. I must say I love this peace of software and I hate if the support goes down when nobody can get in here. But that is a fact if the site don't work the visitors will go somewhere else.

I also use these forums quite a bit and am very appreciative of them.

But even with yesterdays hardware upgrade it is still extremely slow this evening and still gives the sql limit exceeded errors...

I'm sure that without these forums a lot of us users would spend a lot more time figuring things out and a lot of new users wouldn't bother with the project as to me it would look like, if the forums aren't up to scratch the project code must not be either.

If it is a case of needing more/better hardware to run this support channel - how about looking for donations - ie. posting what is needed and where can we send it to?

I'd do my best to help and i'm sure others would too...

Harald,

out of interest, what is the spec of the new hardware? The boards are great, but they are getting hammered. I would recommend that people send you a paypal payment to contribute to new hardware, but would that solve the problem? Would different forums need hosted on different boxes? How can we help? I can offer hardware, bandwidth or cash and I'd gladly offer one or all of those. Let me repeat, the forums are great.

Regards,

I have to agree with Marko....It works fine in the early morning and late evening, but it still starts to lock up from about 10:30a EST. It is very frustrating. If it's a choice between the moderators losing their "superpowers" and being able to have access to the board....need I say more????

It costs money to run this place, so if you moan and groan too much you could lose it! Where would you then get support?

99% of the time you never get any response to questions anyway. Why would I ever want to pay for that kind of support? (Frustrated) I've made 6 or so posts in the past month and I have yet to get a reply to any of them. I'm loosing money because I'm stuck shipping locally because the UPS XML contirbution still doesn't work properly. (More Frustrated) I love the cart, not sure about the support though.

Heres an idea... DONT USE OSC!

If your loosing so much money it would make sence to buy a paid card which will provide you with direct support...

IB is good... I really think we need vB though... vB 3 _should_ be out before the end of the year... it was how ever schedueled for relase aaagggesss ago.. but it costs money...

99% of the time you never get any response to questions anyway.  Why would I ever want to pay for that kind of support? (Frustrated)  I've made 6 or so posts in the past month and I have yet to get a reply to any of them.  I'm loosing money because I'm stuck shipping locally because the UPS XML contirbution still doesn't work properly. (More Frustrated)  I love the cart, not sure about the support though.

I just looked up all your posts - there was only one without a reply, and that was offtopic :blink:

Matti

If everyone donated $10 by Paypal, Oscommerce could upgrade it's servers to Quad Xeon with 2 gigs of ram, etc etc etc, without having to rely on the generosity/kindness of Pair Networks.

Wouldn't it make more sense to use what the present servers can handle and when they are able to upgrade the server, upgrade the board?

It seems they put the cart before the horse this time.....

well if you guys are interested because i have setup several times in the past vbulletin, along with vbportal and i still have the license for it and believe me vbulletin is the best board out there, it has all the features other boards have and an amazing cmmunity to back it up with many hacks and stuff

if hpdl is interested drop me a pm :D

• 3 weeks later...

Umm.... the H/W spec question was never answered? What were your previous specs and what did you upgrade to now?

I am curious... cuz I know someone who invested alot of time into invision... but his site is still small... can pass the spec info onto him...

thanx

You can read more about it in Harald's most recent post in the Announcements forum, but the primary problem with the previous hardware was that usage increased around the same time as the board switch (immediately before the switch, I was seeing a lot of slowness on phpBB). The other major problem is somewhat unique to this kind of board. The main purpose of this board is to serve as a knowledge base where people can look for previous posts with the same problem. This puts a much heavier emphasis on searching than is seen on more discussion oriented boards. In fact, the sheer size of the forum makes searching difficult.

Your friend's forum is unlikely to face the same problems, so I'm not sure how much use the upgrade info is (although Harald did post it in the post mentioned above).

Hth,

Matt

Archived