• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Tax Package

I need to charge tax for california residents and have found that it would take weeks to add each city.

Is there an easier way to do this or will i need to mainly add them.

I was just told that someone has a tax code list for oscommerce for california... Oh i hope so...

Kisses

Paris :P

From my understanding, you only need to charge sales tax to residents in California if your business resides in Calironia as well and the tax rate you charge is the same as your county(the county your business resides in) rates regardless from where in California your customers are from.

Here is a link to find out your sales tax rate:

http://www.boe.ca.gov/cgi-bin/rates.cgi

As for charging tax on osCommerce, I believe you just create a tax zone(name it what you want) and inside that tax zone you'll insert a zone. This is where you pick the country and zone(which would be California in your case). Now create a tax class which you will use to assign the tax rate to your products. Then go to tax rates and create a new tax rate with the rate you're supposed to charge(based on the county or city your business resides in), pick the zone that you created, and select the tax class you created as well.

Now when you create your products, select the appropriate tax class and type in the price in the retail field and it should automatically calculate for tax in the field below it.

When customers buy something, if they reside in California they will be charged the appropriate tax rate.

I think this is the way to go about it. Anybody know for sure if this is the correct way?

You are right, after thinking about the situation i only need to charge one rate and that is where my business is in California, not the city the person is in.

Thank you for taking your time out to reply i do appricate it very much.

Kisses

Paris :P

Archived