• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Where did you find us?

Hi,

In case this has been already made I would like to emphasise I have searched the contributions section and the forums and cannot seem to find what I need.

Basically I am looking at doing different types of offline/online advertising and I want to track my success of them.

So when people sign up for an account I would like to have a drop down box saying "where did you hear about us?"

Preferably a drop down box, options set in the admin panel and some type of reports page with the results.

Is something like this already available?

We developed and implemented this very same thing when we were still very new. It was very easy to do.

However, after a few months, we discovered by matching the 'referring url' in the log files to the answers people gave that only about 40% of our visitors actually gave a truthfull answer.

It's FAR better in my opinion to gather the information automatcially, without adding an additional question during signup. Not only do you present the customer with a shorter sign up form, but you're also guaranteed to get more accurate results.

So, how do you collect this information automatically, you ask?

Well, there are two very easy, very simple ways to do it, both in the form of contributions already made.

First, install the 'Ad Tracker'. This will add 2 fields tothe customers table. One field is for the 'referring url' which is easily gathered for each visitor. The seconde field stored a user defined value that you would pass from the advertiser. For example, if you are advertising on google, you would put you url in google to be

http://www.yourdomain.com?ad=google

The 'Ad' value is shown in the admin>> customers screen.

The socond easy way to track ad performance is to install the OSCAffiliate program contribution. This contribution tracks incomming clicks and sales. Once installed, you 'sign up' each of your advertisers to the program. This program also uses a url parameter to keep track of where sales are coming from. For example, after installing the OSCAffiliate, and 'signing up' google to the program, you ad url on google would look like this

http://www.yourdomain.com?ad=google&ref=2001

The OSCAffiliate program also adds information to the cookie the customer receives, nad keeps the 'visit' from the customer active for a amount of time that you cna determine. That means that you can track a sale from gooogle even if they click on your ad from google, bookmark your site, and come back a month later to purchase!

Also, this programs tracks that actual clicks to sales conversion ratio for you that a simple questionaire won't be able to do.

IMO, there would be much more efficient ways of tracking your advertising performance.

Best of luck.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Gathering the information automatically is great for tracking online advertising but won't help for magazine spots, banners at shows, flyers sent out or even TV spots. I know this doesn't apply to every store but online advertising is only half of it for me.

I think I need to write some code asking that question during checkout....

just my $0.02....

B)