• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Checkout Charges

CKinternational98

Hello, I am about to launch my website, but this one problem is holding me back.

On checkout, I want it to add a fee based on how much the buyer spent for using payapl. I want it to charge $1.98 for every $100 spent. Does anyone know how to set this up?

The other problem is I want it to charge for weight to ship. This should easly be taken care of by selecting USPS, however the freaking USPS form I need to do do that, resets the form every time I submit it. So that is an enitrly diffrent problem, so unless any of you know how to use that table charge thing correctly, ingnore this question. Thanks

Using paypal is a big convenience for you and you should not charge a fee to your customers because they want to use it to easily & securely send you their money. Also, you may not be allowed to legally do so.

Read the paypal site to make sure you are not violating your user agreement:

http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p...ayments-outside

"No Surcharges. Under Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express regulations and the laws of several states, including California, merchants may not charge a fee to the buyer for accepting credit card payments (often called a "surcharge"). You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as payment."

Good point, while I don't think it is illegal here, you have a point. At the same time, I want people to send large purchases via money order. I am a very small buinsess, and this saves me a ton of money. However, if it is illegal here, then I need to find some way to tie the fee into shipping. In the end I am trying to pull $1.98 for every dollar, and $1.75 for every pound. This allows me to make around 20 to 30 dollars more per order, which is huge considering I only make around 70 to 100 dolalrs an order. I have been doing this for a few weeks outside of an online buisness, and people don't seem to mind, I havn't lost a single customer to the extra charge. So if any of you know how to tie extra fees based on cost into my checkout, that would be very helpful. Thanks

yeah, you should not charge a fee, if i was buying form a site that offered paypal, (well, I first would not buy from a site that only offered paypal), but I was charged a fee, I would not place a order with you,

is 1.98 really going to save you on a 100 order?

digi

*Outlined in chalk everone looks the same*

Currently useing OSC 2.2 MS1

running on Apache/1.3.27 (Unix) (Red-Hat/Linux) mod_jk/1.2.0 mod_perl/1.26 PHP/4.3.3 FrontPage/5.0.2 mod_ssl/2.8.12 OpenSSL/0.9.6b

Well each order is for around 700, but then I pay around 600, which means I am only pocketing 100, but I am paying shipping, and paypal fees on that. Anyways, I have figured it out, I have a $5 charge plus shipping, this works since all orders are over $50, but 90% of orders will be around 700, so while it doesn't fully make up for it, it will help, and it fits into shipping, so it doesn't really bother anyone, and it helps detour people from making small orders, which is something I don't want. Also for shipping cost, I am just using the UPS one, which seems to charge the right amount, and has plenty of options for buyers. Thanks for your suggestions though.

I notice Ebayers that do this same type of thing a lot. It disturbs me to think that you are making others pay you for doing business with you, which is essentially what the surcharge practice boils down to.

Maybe thats just my ethical side showing through. I take all payments via Paypal w/o surcharges, and I have been that way for years. You gotta pay a CC surcharge with a merchant account. Its a cost of doing business, think of all the business you would not have if it wasn't for the ability to accept the forms of payment you do. If for every $100 I made it only cost me essentially $2, I'd be pretty darn happy about that.

I'm not raking you over the coals, its your business, do with it as you please. But be forewarned, it is against the rules to clearly denote that you are charging a surcharge to accept such and such payment methods. Sneaking it into the shipping charges I guess is one way around the rules.

Archived