• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Question on Better Business logo, verisign seal, ?

cgchris99

Well, I think that all of these things ARE benificial, but I don't think that they are quantifiable.

Personally, for a small business or start up, the BBB seems much too expensive. At last check, it was around $500 per year to use their seal on your website. Similarly, places like eTrust run you about the same. Very expensive, in my opinion.

We did find one that was relativly inexpensive, www.squaredeal.com is a 3rd party mediator and customer assurance progrma similar to the BBB, but it only costs about $7 epr month. You can check out the seal displayed at the bottom of our shop.

The SSL seals will generally run about $100 or so per year, and I think that these would also help some, but again, not a quantifiable amount. We intend to purchase one just before the holiday season starts.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

• 2 years later...

They certainly are quantifiable.

If you do a sample of your sales, conversion rate, and shopping cart abandonment rate for 2 weeks before and after the addition, you should see the difference.

I had one of my consulting clients get hackersafe, and I don't remember the exact numbers, but the number of dropped carts decreased by 10-20% and sales increased by somewhere between 7-15%.

It makes sense- there are still a lot of technophobes who don't understand or trust just any website. MAYBE they trust big name sites like amazon, but yours, which is new to them? You need third-part ycredibility/trust indicators.

My honest opinion, these are good things to use and gain potential customers.

Here is what I think of SSL certificate seals. This is a good thing to add to your site. It doesn't necessarily have to be a VeriSign, it could be any (Comodo, GeoTrust, etc.) But one thing that people think is that VeriSign is more trustful, well, of course cause of the companies they handle but all SSL certificates to me have the same encryption.

My recommendation to have a successful business for customers would be an SSL cert w/ SGC. A little bit more expensive but very valuable (cause SGC allows for older browsers that encrypt at 40-bit to encrpy at 128/256-bit.)

On the topic of BBB and such, I believe with BBB you have to be in business for a year minimum. $500 isn't expensive if your serious about your business. In other words, be smart with your business, invest and return and you'll be good.

Installed Contributions: AJAX Menu, AJAX Attributed Manager, AP URL ReWriting, Credit Class and Gift Vouchers, CCGV Report, Date of Birth PullDown, FCKEditor for Product Desc., Monthly Installment Payments, More Pictures 6, MSRP Savings, Must Agree to Terms on Checkout, Order Editor, Payment Method Fee, PopUp Promo, Private Messages, Purchase Order, Purchase Order Application, Secure Admin Login-Logout, STS Plus, SugarCRM Integration, Supertracker, Tax Exempt and Organization Discounts, Your Recent History.

23 Total Contributions Installed :)

my thoughts on the BBB and similar services: http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=217579 i say right the hell away from them, they'll review your shop even if you AREN'T a member. so really, what are the benefits? to post a ugly looking shield on your shop to distract your customers?

SSL - depends on your target client-base. if you target younger generations, you probably won't NEED it (unless you are passing info more sensitive than a name / mailing address, etc.)

for example: if i am paying by paypal, i do not need to feel "extra secure" by seeing a padlock in my browser. what are they gonna steal? my name, email address and home address? one of my friends could just as easily do that :lol: i am certainly not alone with this opinion, but surely there will be some out there to argue.

hackersafe - in my opinion, posting this is just BEGGING for script kiddies to target you. why give them an invitation?

if somebody's contemplating buying from you, a little icon isn't going to persuade them one way or the other. (maybe 2% of the internet's entire population would be awed by such a thing, at best)

save your money and avoid these useless services. work on getting your name out there and let your site speak for itself.

my thoughts on the BBB and similar services: http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=217579 i say right the hell away from them, they'll review your shop even if you AREN'T a member. so really, what are the benefits? to post a ugly looking shield on your shop to distract your customers?

I'm half and half with you on this. Although the BBB is said to be a company that makes alot of people feel safer to shop with, its also at the same time a pessimistic way of displaying your a reliable source. Only part I agree with you is that many will judge and review a shop by the way its potential is cited. In the end, the BBB could make maybe a 10%-15% sales direct.

SSL - depends on your target client-base. if you target younger generations, you probably won't NEED it (unless you are passing info more sensitive than a name / mailing address, etc.)

I actually disagree with this, its like VeriSign sent me in a clear envelope... sending information via the web without an SSL is like sending mail via the United States Postal Service in a clear envelope, anybody can see it.

Even if its targeting niche is children, they'll need parents to pay for the items or whatever, what do the parents need... debit or credit card, not smart to send across an unencrypted checkout.

hackersafe - in my opinion, posting this is just BEGGING for script kiddies to target you. why give them an invitation?

if somebody's contemplating buying from you, a little icon isn't going to persuade them one way or the other. (maybe 2% of the internet's entire population would be awed by such a thing, at best)

save your money and avoid these useless services. work on getting your name out there and let your site speak for itself.

This could actually prove something, this service actually tests your site by a couple of hacking techniques. If you pass (hence if your on a dedicated server, have it setup with a firewall which could help in your information not being hijacked along with the SSL) --- then you'll be qualified for the image that "AWES" people... which this image is actually a message in one, its tells all customers on the site "This site has passed on our hacking techniques and there is no need to worry about a hacker interfering the server."

Or something amongst them lines.

Installed Contributions: AJAX Menu, AJAX Attributed Manager, AP URL ReWriting, Credit Class and Gift Vouchers, CCGV Report, Date of Birth PullDown, FCKEditor for Product Desc., Monthly Installment Payments, More Pictures 6, MSRP Savings, Must Agree to Terms on Checkout, Order Editor, Payment Method Fee, PopUp Promo, Private Messages, Purchase Order, Purchase Order Application, Secure Admin Login-Logout, STS Plus, SugarCRM Integration, Supertracker, Tax Exempt and Organization Discounts, Your Recent History.

Although the BBB is said to be a company that makes alot of people feel safer to shop with

i disagree with this. my age group is part of the largest demographic of big $penders on the web (18-25). i have never met anyone in this age group (that's a consumer; not a shop owner) that bothers with BBB's bs, led alone knows what they are and/or understands what they are

if your target demographic is fickle elderly people, you may be onto something using the BBB or their "services"

Even if its targeting niche is children, they'll need parents to pay for the items or whatever, what do the parents need... debit or credit card, not smart to send across an unencrypted checkout.

why i said "unless you are passing info more sensitive than a name / mailing address, etc."...when you're using paypal, paypal already has an ssl and anyone familiar (or even semi-familiar) knows paypal has their own ssl. simply passing a name, address, email... is not opening you to any potential threat. most of us send this type of info over email at one point or another, without even thinking about it.

This could actually prove something, this service actually tests your site by a couple of hacking techniques. If you pass (hence if your on a dedicated server, have it setup with a firewall which could help in your information not being hijacked along with the SSL) --- then you'll be qualified for the image that "AWES" people... which this image is actually a message in one, its tells all customers on the site "This site has passed on our hacking techniques and there is no need to worry about a hacker interfering the server."

as much as people would like to believe, nothing is truly 100% hacker-safe.

these hacker-safe people may hire some top notch criminals, but there's always somebody out there smarter than the last person and they will inevitably get their way through any wall they want to.

and like i said, why offer an invite to potential hackers?

hackersafe isn't that big right now, but once they are - they're opening a new door to script kiddies and professional hackers. no doubt shop owners sporting their logos are going to be top targets on their list

if you truly want to make your customers feel comfortable, writing up a security and privacy policy will be more than enough to the majority of surfers to assure them you're trustworthy with their sensitive information. even if you use paypal with no on-site ssl, explain it to them in dummy terms and they'll trust you more for telling them the truth, instead of sugarcoating things with fancy logos and gimmicks

no matter how hard any of us try, you will not win over every customer. there's always going to be skeptics. overdoing it with bbb logos, hackersafe logos ontop of the regular ssl logo everyone is used to and whatever else you may advertise, you may scare off the potential non-skeptic, as for some it's too much to absorb..

for instance:

if i am about to enter my cc # into an unfamiliar site i'm going to skim their policies, their site, etc. if i see a bazillion different logos they work with and/or sponsor i'm just gonna click off and find something more simplistic

why i said "unless you are passing info more sensitive than a name / mailing address, etc."...when you're using paypal, paypal already has an ssl and anyone familiar (or even semi-familiar) knows paypal has their own ssl. simply passing a name, address, email... is not opening you to any potential threat. most of us send this type of info over email at one point or another, without even thinking about it.

I understand this, but you have to realize, when a user inputs information, the information is being relayed back and forth to the database table. In shorter terms, you don't want to purchase some "personal" stuff and then your maybe hacker friend identifies everything you purchased the next day.

In basic terminology... even if you use PayPal, you need an SSL to be able to pass the user's information through out the checkout. Its always smart to have a SSL certificate, even if the payment processor has one, it doesn't protect your on-site customers.

as much as people would like to believe, nothing is truly 100% hacker-safe.

I can 100% agree with you on this, firewalls and encrypted code are a start, but still, nothing is hacker-safe.

hackersafe isn't that big right now, but once they are - they're opening a new door to script kiddies and professional hackers. no doubt shop owners sporting their logos are going to be top targets on their list

Well, their not big and call me wrong but I think HackerGuardian is the same but even better. I don't I'll have to check into that and justify on my final answer.

if you truly want to make your customers feel comfortable, writing up a security and privacy policy will be more than enough to the majority of surfers to assure them you're trustworthy with their sensitive information. even if you use paypal with no on-site ssl, explain it to them in dummy terms and they'll trust you more for telling them the truth, instead of sugarcoating things with fancy logos and gimmicks

Thing is, people OUR age (me turning 18 Tuesday, July 18, 2006) don't always read the privacy polcy's... you can add it to your checkout as a request that it MUST be read, but a majority of the customers will do the same thing, click the box and be on their merry way.

Now I am not saying privacy policy and user agreements aren't the way to solutionize every thing. They are good and when writing one, my recommendation is to include hacker safety in them. But with a HackerSafe logo, your telling people that your site has been tested and proven to be hacker safe. Although like I said once again I agree with you on the fact that hackers will still try to outwit and prove themselves by hacking them "proud displayers," only advice I have then is do your best to keep the log files protected, keep your firewall constantly running unless your adding something to your dedicated or co-located server.

By the way, to clear the air to people reading this... I've got a couple PM's asking why am I arguing with him, to me, we're not arguing, its more like comprehensive comprimising an issue ;)

I understand this, but you have to realize, when a user inputs information, the information is being relayed back and forth to the database table. In shorter terms, you don't want to purchase some "personal" stuff and then your maybe hacker friend identifies everything you purchased the next day.

you bring a good point.. i see many "adult"-osc driven sites and i suppose if i were to ever buy that stuff online, i wouldn't necessarily want a hacker to know about it :lol:

Its always smart to have a SSL certificate, even if the payment processor has one, it doesn't protect your on-site customers.

definately. i have one, and at present i only take paypal (for cc transactions)

but for the issue of debate you don't necessarily [/i]need[/i] one (but of course, as you mentioned... there are definate exceptions!)

Thing is, people OUR age (me turning 18 Tuesday, July 18, 2006) don't always read the privacy polcy's...

happy early birthday! had no idea you were that young (well.. i'm 22, not much older :lol: ).. very cool to see more younger people starting shops!

you can add it to your checkout as a request that it MUST be read, but a majority of the customers will do the same thing, click the box and be on their merry way.

i'm guilty of it.. but the same can be said for displaying the bbb logos :)

Now I am not saying privacy policy and user agreements aren't the way to solutionize every thing.

in my opinion they're MORE useful (and cost less!) than hackersafe & bbb. any service that charges you a arm and a leg to offer REVIEWS is a waste of cash. after all, there's millions of similar services that do it for free.

I have then is do your best to keep the log files protected, keep your firewall constantly running unless your adding something to your dedicated or co-located server.

and keep up to date on any security patches :)

By the way, to clear the air to people reading this... I've got a couple PM's asking why am I arguing with him, to me, we're not arguing, its more like comprehensive comprimising an issue ;)

:lol: why on earth would anyone send such a message? (as far as i know) i don't have a reputation for "fights" and a good debate is never a bad thing!

in my opinion they're MORE useful (and cost less!) than hackersafe & bbb. any service that charges you a arm and a leg to offer REVIEWS is a waste of cash. after all, there's millions of similar services that do it for free.

Well, can't argue with that, they are cheap and reliable, but make sure you pack every bit of information you can (even the small things that may be common sense to some may send others into confusion.) Like, even if it includes their responsibility to keep their accounts safe by logging in and verifying their logged off. All you need is to forget to logoff from the library and then somebody gets on next and starts shooting stuff in and out of your basket and making useless purchases :o

happy early birthday! had no idea you were that young (well.. i'm 22, not much older :D ).. very cool to see more younger people starting shops!

Thanks for the birthday wish, and yes I am a youngster but the knowledge of business then your average CEO (I know trademarks, PHP and MySQL, morals and basics to running an online business... in other words I'm qualified :) )

i'm guilty of it.. but the same can be said for displaying the bbb logos

Ain't we all (yes I am guilty of it too.) :D

you bring a good point.. i see many "adult"-osc driven sites and i suppose if i were to ever buy that stuff online, i wouldn't necessarily want a hacker to know about it

Let's get religious, imagine that the person who did the hacking (even though it could be considered a form of sin in some way) --- but imagine if that person was your pastor... would YOU attend Sunday morning service? :P

why on earth would anyone send such a message? (as far as i know) i don't have a reputation for "fights" and a good debate is never a bad thing!

Thank you, emphasize on the Good Debate part.

but make sure you pack every bit of information you can (even the small things that may be common sense to some may send others into confusion.)

i have to disagree with this. the majority of customer's aren't *necessarily* stupid, but they sure act like it (by not reading obvious things)... i've had somebody email a few years ago angrily and mention something about the "insanely log frequently asked questions" page... :blink: if you ask my personal preference... too much is better than too little! but judging simply by past experience, short and sweet - to the point will do you better than something packed with loads of info

Thanks for the birthday wish, and yes I am a youngster but the knowledge of business then your average CEO (I know trademarks, PHP and MySQL, morals and basics to running an online business... in other words I'm qualified)

it's about time seeing some fresh and eager blood. :) i've only been on these forums a tad over a year, but there's a large mass of people that want everyone to do the work for them and have no background knowledge of ecommerce OR the products they're selling (baffling..)

Let's get religious

yuck! :lol:

imagine that the person who did the hacking (even though it could be considered a form of sin in some way) --- but imagine if that person was your pastor... would YOU attend Sunday morning service?

in all honesty? i probably would! but yes, i know i'm in the minority here... and i definately understand what you're trying to say :)

Thank you, emphasize on the Good Debate part.

cmon give me some gossip, who's the hate monger(s) that told you not to debate with good ole eww? :P

i have to disagree with this. the majority of customer's aren't *necessarily* stupid, but they sure act like it (by not reading obvious things)... i've had somebody email a few years ago angrily and mention something about the "insanely log frequently asked questions" page... if you ask my personal preference... too much is better than too little! but judging simply by past experience, short and sweet - to the point will do you better than something packed with loads of info

Well, I guess too much is always unbearable... let me re-phrase it then... people with bad english or are learning english, use common words but at the same time, make it sound professional is all I'm saying. :)

it's about time seeing some fresh and eager blood. i've only been on these forums a tad over a year, but there's a large mass of people that want everyone to do the work for them and have no background knowledge of ecommerce OR the products they're selling (baffling..)

Well yeah, if you want to run a successful business its smart to know the ins and outs yourself cause like its said the people who get professional writers to do there business plans... only the owner (you) know everything from every angle of your business.

cmon give me some gossip, who's the hate monger(s) that told you not to debate with good ole eww?

If I could, I would... but then I'd be letting down and showing I have no confidentiality skills for my eCommerce now would I :P :D

Well yeah, if you want to run a successful business its smart to know the ins and outs yourself cause like its said the people who get professional writers to do there business plans... only the owner (you) know everything from every angle of your business.

i don't see a problem with hiring writers if you're big time.. one thing i don't understand about some people is; they're just OPENING a shop, so they certainly aren't big time and yet they want nothing to do with it. they just want to sit back and let everyone else do the work for them (for free) while they watch the cash roll in :rolleyes:

If I could, I would... but then I'd be letting down and showing I have no confidentiality skills for my eCommerce now would I

if there's a drama queen in the bunch they should be known! i never got any message from some schmuck asking me not to argue with you, so it must have been somebody with a sensitive ego that i unintentionally offended in one way or the other :)

if there's a drama queen in the bunch they should be known! i never got any message from some schmuck asking me not to argue with you, so it must have been somebody with a sensitive ego that i unintentionally offended in one way or the other

Well I guess its our issue, not theres. Either way, I'm not worrying about it, a fresh debate is nothing that bad... is it? 8)

i don't see a problem with hiring writers if you're big time.. one thing i don't understand about some people is; they're just OPENING a shop, so they certainly aren't big time and yet they want nothing to do with it. they just want to sit back and let everyone else do the work for them (for free) while they watch the cash roll in

I agree... but I'm not going to be harsh and point them people out... all readers of this, we're NOT targeting you.

Archived