• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Better Search Rankings

jrwrestling

If you're running a page that will not alter much, try changing the main page to a static page that can be indexed by the search engines. You will have to manually update this page, but you can change the text and everything much easier.

Since doing this, my webpage search rankings have gone up ten-fold and traffic/sales from them about the same!

Static HTML webpages no longer index any better than dynamic content webpages, as we have proven here time and time again.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

I suppose with several addons, and a lot of PHP knowledge, you are correct. However, that isn't necessarily true.

You can manually edit fields on the static page so the words show up more frequently. Add several specific products to the main page, and more.

So essentially, what you are saying, is that if you don't want to learn how to do those things in php, then you can just create static html pages instead. I guess that's true, however, you can add keywords to your php pages just as easily as you can add them to the html pages. And all thing equal, the two types of pages will get the same indexing results.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Hah, Im not trying to argue. You are definatly correct. I don't see how placing this idea was worth yelling at me for though. I was just trying to help the newbies like me. Im slowing gaining experience in PHP but as I learn, I want to generate Search Sales. So whats wrong with that?

jrwrestling,

By no means did I intend to come across as yelling at you. I apologize if I came off that way. With all of the fallicies, and myths going around about search engines, and search engine optimization being a hobby of mine, I just wanted to point out that search engines do not prefer HTML pages over dynamic ones.

Webmasters, however, might, as long as the maintenience doesn't outweight the reward.

Regards.

I should have said "learning" about search engines, and gethering information about them is a hobby of mine. Not necessarily teaching.

I don't mind giving a pointer out every now and again, like I did in this thread, but I honestly have no interest in teaching other people in a few minutes what it took me over a year to learn myself.

I will say this, there is a TON of good information about search engines right in this very forum. Just takes a little patience, and a lot of reading.

Sorry.

As often as I'm asked that, I took it at face value.

Cheers.

Archived