• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Upgrading PHP 4.0.6 to PHP 4.1.2-3

ZackMac

Hi, I have a live store running here:

http://www.twocranesimports.com/

I'm using osCommerce 2.2 Milestone 1 with PHP 4.0.6.

I need to upgrade the box (a Sun Cobalt RaQ 4) to PHP 4.1.2-3 for another application on another domain, and I'm curious if anyone can tell me if this will break my osCommerce store?

In other words, will upgrading from PHP 4.0.6 to PHP 4.1.2-3 have any adverse affect on my osCommerce 2.2 MS1 live store? Is there anything I need to change within osC that you are aware of?

What is the offical recommended version of PHP for an osC install anyway?

Thanks in advance for any help!

-ZackMac

PS Let me know if I need to rephrase my question.

Okay - As long as it does not overwrite php.ini (which it should not) - as it may turn off register_globals and any other setting you may have set.

I am running php 4.3.1

I don't know of problems going from 4.06 to 4.1.2-3, but in the future, try to avoid upgrading to 4.2x. Instead, skip into the 4.3 series. There is a bug in PHP 4.2 that causes confusion with osCommerce.

I would consider 4.3 to be the correct version, but perhaps I'm simply avante garde. Other than the bug above, osCommerce is supposed to be compatible with the entire 4 series and part of PHP 3 (support to be removed for MS4).

Hth,

Matt

Hey, thanks for the info :)

I'll make sure to backup my php.ini before upgrading. And if I upgrade again, I'll go directly to 4.3 as you've suggested.

From what I understand, 4.2.1-3 is a fairly secure version, and works well on the RaQ4 without issue. Glad to hear that it won't break osCommerce either.

Thanks again,

-ZackMac

Archived