• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

extra fields questions

Hi everybody

I want to add quite a few custom fields for my products. Now I seem to have mastered the technique of creating the new field in the database and then modifying categories.php in the right places to populate these new fields.

But I just have a couple of questions for bit's I'm struggling on:

1) If I want an extra date field for something, what should I be looking to modify outside of categories.php? I've set it up as a date field in the database, and I've managed to copy all the relevant bits of code from the products_date_added, but for some reason it doesn't seem to work.

2) When I've succesfully added all my extra fields to the product database, can anybody tell me how I go about making existing search system search through all my additional fields?

Thank you in advance.

Neil

Hi.

Well, I am working on the same thing (add fields). Unfortunately I can not help you with that, but perhaps you can help me telling me what I have to change in the "catalog/index.php" file, so the new field shows up in product listings. Everything but this works fine.

Thanks!

Erik

Alright now. I added a vendor field and a product cost field in the product database. I can edit these one by one in Admin but does anyone know how to add these fields to Easy Populate for ease of uploading???? I have over 10K items so adding info one by one is no help... I tried to hack EP but can not get it going.

Check out the thread here:

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=49888

You can download the file I modified for my own site from a link there. Be warned that I don't make use of the Froogle portion of EP and didn't change anything there; only for the product info upload/download.

It's EP v2.60 but should give you a good idea what you need to change.

hope this helps

-al

• 2 weeks later...

Al,

I appreciate your sharing this file. I tried to follow your lead, and added my new fields everywhere I found yours. I am also not using Froogle or the other mods, however, it's not working. When I download my products, I can see the new fields, but they don't show what's in the database. Also when I manually add the information into my txt file then upload it, the data isn't put into the database.

I read through both threads regarding Easy Populate, http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=31031 and http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=27615, however I wasn't able to find explicit instructions for adding new fields on either one (there's a link in the second thread, but it doesn't go anywhere, perhaps because of the recent forum changes?). Any other ideas about how I might proceed? Thanks again,

Helen

Archived