• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Better results in Search Engines

When you go looking through Google and many of the other search engines you will see that many other shopping programs place the product's or category's name in the title.

Not only does this make a big difference to the person searching for the product, but it does in fact make a big difference to search engines like Google. I have been looking into this problem, but as yet I have not managed to get this to work in OScommerce. If anyone has some ideas on this I think we could all benefit.

Another simple thing is simply have the <H1> tag on the product or category field when it is displayed on the web.

I had a couple of problems with the Dynamic META TAGS contrib & I also wanted the price to show in the title - this works for me on MS2

In product_info.php add the following code just after:

require(DIR_WS_LANGUAGES . $language . '/' . FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO);

$meta_query = tep_db_query("select p.products_id, p.products_tax_class_id, p.products_model, p.products_price, pd.products_name, pd.products_id,

pd.products_description from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS . " p, " .

TABLE_PRODUCTS_DESCRIPTION . " pd where p.products_id = '" . (int)$HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id'] . "' and pd.products_id = p.products_id and

pd.language_id ='" . (int)$languages_id . "'");

$meta_check = tep_db_fetch_array($meta_query);

$meta_normal_price = $meta_check['products_price'];

$meta_special_price = tep_get_products_special_price($meta_check['products_id']);

if (tep_not_null($meta_special_price)) {

$meta_price = $currencies->display_price($meta_special_price, tep_get_tax_rate($meta_check['products_tax_class_id']));

} else {

$meta_price = $currencies->display_price($meta_normal_price, tep_get_tax_rate($meta_check['products_tax_class_id']));

}

$meta_n = $meta_check['products_name'];

$meta_name = strip_tags($meta_n);

$meta_desc = $meta_check['products_description'];

$meta_description = strip_tags($meta_desc);

$meta_mod = $meta_check['products_model'];

$meta_model = strip_tags($meta_mod);

Then replace:

<title><?php echo TITLE; ?></title>

with:

<title><?php echo TITLE; ?> : <?php echo $meta_name; ?> : <?php echo $meta_price; ?></title>

<meta name="description" content="<?php echo TITLE; ?> : <?php echo $meta_name; ?> : <?php echo $meta_model; ?> :<?php echo $meta_description; ?>">

<meta neme="keywords" content="<?php echo TITLE; ?> : <?php echo $meta_name; ?> : <?php echo $meta_model; ?> : <?php echo $meta_description; ?>">

Thats it...

I do have one question about this though - does using a lot of words in your meta tags cause them to be ignored by some search engines???

I haven't seen any search engines ignore my pages because the title is too long. However, they do seem to judge the relevance of keywords by the ratio of keywords to the total number of words. For example, a page with a keyword in a title that is only four words long will rank much higher than a page with the same keyword in a title that is forty words long.

If your title is too long the search engines will just ignore everything over a certain number of characters. The exact limit varies by search engine. Best to just keep the title short.

It is important to remember that humans are going to be clicking on that title in a search. If your title is just a jumble of keywords many people will pass it by. Having the price in the title is a great way to tell them that you have the product for sale. I'm using a similar modification, complicated somewhat by my store's multiple discount price scheme. Your code should work well in that respect.

Google and the other major search engines all ignore the Meta Keywords tag. Some search engines still read the Meta Description tag and display it on the search page, but it is not important for ranking. A few of the smaller search engines still read these tags and use them for ranking. I would still include them, but don't obsess over them. The content of your pages is far more important to getting a good rank.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

here is something that can always help

now google likes H1 tags and this will boost your relevancy & possibly your rankings

since we have breadcrumbs why not enclose them in h1 tags?... well that what i did.

add this to your stylesheet.css:  (modify to suit your site)

H1 {
font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif;
font-size: 9pt;
}

then simply locate your breadcrumbs in index.php and product_info.php and enclose it them in <H1></H1> tags.... simple and effective...

Designrfix.com | Graphic Design Inspiration & Web Design Resources - @designrfix

Those of you serious about SEO....pick up the book "hacking google"....it covers all the in's and out's of what Google likes.....

I spent hours going through the book and tweaking my site and sure paid off.....top ranking in many situations in a very competitive market...

B)

Does showing google adds help?

I can't see how it would, but about 2 weeks ago I started displaying google adds on my site - the following day googlecrawlers were all over my site and still are.

I run a 'for sale by owner' site using osc where users can submit their own properties, now whenever a user adds a property, google seems to be back on that page within half an hour. I don't think it has helped my ranking - don't have a windows pc handy, so can't check - i think i still have a ranking of 0/10 but maybe as google is all over the site recently that will change soon???

Also, does anyone know how to check the page ranking without using Windows/ie?

Actually, now that Google is displaying 'Content Targeted' impressions of your Adwords, that means that your adword ads will show up on other people's websites who allow Google to pay them for clicks. Thus your Link Popularity is boosted as well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

I started using Google adwords for my site 4 days ago. Beyond the obvious one benefit is "Ask Jeeves" made it's first appearance and has been crawling for a couple of days now.....

Google adwords also feed Earthlink search....

B)

Hi Rodney,

I was wondering if you would be kind enough to give me your impression of the google adword program. I was considering using this service, but I always shy away from services that are not performance based. Do you find that google steers good traffic your way? When you pay per click, it seems to me you have to expect a fair number of "tire kickers". I would appreciate a few words on your success with using google.

Thank You,

Mark

Hi Rodney,

I was wondering if you would be kind enough to give me your impression of the google adword program. I was considering using this service, but I always shy away from services that are not performance based. Do you find that google steers  good traffic your way? When you pay per click, it seems to me you have to expect a fair number of "tire kickers". I would appreciate a few words on your success with using google.

Thank You,

Mark

well I am only on day 5 so..... the trick is in the keywords. the adwords program requires you to get a 0.5% CTR for every 1,000 impressions. The first two days I didnt not meet the requirement as they served up 2,000 impressions of my ad. They "disable" your campaign and force you to tweak your keywords. Once you get used to their interface it's pretty cool. They have a really cool keyword tool to help you select keywords for your site. They will also help estimate traffic for each keyword you select. From what I can tell you get unlimited keywords. It's all about $$$ with them.

You get to select the maximum you want to spend on CTR, can be as low as $.05 to as high as you want. The lower you set your CTR, the lower your position on the page. It's more complicated than that (lotsa math on their part) but this is what I figured out. The more you are willing to pay for each click, the better the positioning you will get for your keywords.

The other thing you need to do is set your maximum daily budget. Now this is confusing but highly recommended because of the amount of impressions they deliver. Depending on your keywords/business, it is easy for them to deliver thousands of impressions a day -easily- so imagine if you set a maximum of $1 per click and they deliver 1,000 impressions a day. yep...probably bust your budget. anyways, the weird thing about the daily budget is that it is possible for them to exceed your daily budget on any given day but they promise that they will never exceed your daily budget x # days in that month. So you have total control over your advertising budget with them.

Has it helped my business? well, hard for me to tell so far. I was already getting 400-500 unique visitors a day and my reports still show about the same traffic. Looking at my daily google adword reports, looks like my campaign is now doing a few thousand impressions a day and I am now averaging a CTR of 2%....

I promised myself I would "test" their service for a month and see if it pays for itself in sales. I can't stress enough the importance of selecting the right keywords for this program. It's a make or break .....

Hope this helps or makes sense....

B)

• 4 weeks later...

Advertising anywhere is a bad idea if you dont know if you got your returns from them. Google are great way to advertise your product.

to know exactly if its pays off is really not hard, add an affiliate system to your commerse system, add google as affiliate, and include google affiliate url in the adword you use to advertise with google.

for example, www.officialreplicas.com

then after each sale you know ;)

Jaleel

Archived